Author Topic: Balance Issues - an A.N overview  (Read 19597 times)

Kilroy1976

Re: Balance Issues - an A.N overview
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2006, 04:42:33 am »
I forgot to mention, looking up in the sky at a plane overhead, and hanging wallpaper along the ceiling line are my 5% losses. :(

Amen. The sky is not my friend these days. :P
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

chopper

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2006, 07:02:51 am »
I'm curious, with the talk of blance issues, has anyone here ridden a bike or motorcycle at all post-op?  It's one of those things that I'm wondering if I'll still be able to do after my time comes...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 07:05:56 am by chopper »
3+cm AN, hit the chopping block 5 Sep 06 at the Skull Base Institute

Was 4.5cm at it's largest point, completely removed.  All motor functions normal.  Only complaint is SSD on the left side, which was expected anyway.

Patti

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2006, 07:25:37 am »
Chopper-I tried my bicycle a few months post-op and didn't feel confident.  I put the idea away and did other things for years.  The other day I tried my bicylce again and fell down and hurt my leg after 20 feet.  It happened when I turned my head to check for traffic.  I got on again but could not manage to slow down to make a u-turn.  Biking doesn't mean that much to me so I am not going to bother trying again.  I do many other things though.  Patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Jeanlea

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2006, 08:08:37 am »
Chopper,

I was able to ride my bike again after 8 months post-op (and all the snow had finally melted).  I was a little wobbly, but didn't fall.  I've also ridden on the back of my husband's motorcycle with no problems at all. 

Yesterday I crawled out the upstairs window to get on the porch roof so I could clean out the gutters.  My son came with me.  He told me not to fall of his aunt would never forgive him.  lol  I had no problems at all on the roof.  I do tend to take more care doing those types of things though.  Haven't really found anything that I could do before surgery that I cannot do now except for jumping in a pool of water since my eye won't close on its own quickly.  The other day I saw some planes flying over in formation.  I can look at the sky as long as I'm standing still. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 09:18:28 am »
Radio-surgery (plus Chiari 1) has really thrown my balance for a loop as well... seems to be common amongst radio-patients.  As previously noted here, darkness (gawd help me if I'm walking my dog at night AND have to bend over to scoop her mess!), driving at night, etc.   Am doing low dose valium (Vitamin "V") 3x/daily and it does seem to help a bit...

watching this thread for all responses so I can work with my dr regarding this issue.....

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Boppie

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2006, 10:53:10 am »
BB, I had the same doctors and surgery in Houston in Decembr of 05.  I've read your post about your progress.  Yes, I agree stress makes recovery harder.  It sounds as if you are getting on top of it though.  I can only suggest that you try to keep a really upbeat attitidue about your daily routine.  The head motions from side to side are still very helpful.  I walk up and down my own sidewalk in front of my house to feel more secure.  I stop in front of my own mail box, hold onto it, and give my head another gentle shake at the beginning and end of each walk. 

I had a major family event in the late spring and all through the summer I had to travel back and forth to Chicago to suppport my daughter in her divorce matters.  While I was going through this time I neglected my exercise routine and rest.  Although I came through the ordeal with her, I ran into some stale issues with my balance and fell into a mild depression.  Mostly, I just sat and stared into space a good deal and found that I couldn't get my self into projects each day.  Thank God for the support of my family and their concern.  Since the ninth month post op I have regained my balance and I feel stronger than ever.  My taste bud issues have finally resolved. 

We are each stronger than we know.  I do a fair amount of praying, but I believe that we have to take action and the resolve to heal ourselves.  I am glad that you had such wonderful doctors.  Dr. Vrabek is such a sweetheart!  I go for my one year MRI November 15 and I have a new TransEar hearing aid.  Please write and let me know how well you are doing.  Maybe we will meet some time!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 10:55:15 am by Boppie »

FlyersFan68

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2006, 12:48:42 pm »
Here is an interesting link regarding balance function and exercises:

http://www.nfauk.org/nfauk_downloads/nf2-factsheets/understanding_balance_in_nf2.pdf

ANinWV

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2006, 11:43:05 am »
AninWV

Interesting reading...          Besides the dark I get really woozy when I look down from heights which we have plenty of in mountaineer country. OK looking out just not down!!!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2006, 07:04:25 am »
I've ridden on the back of my husbands motor cycle once since surgery.  I had to hang on for dear life, the noise was horrendous and I closed my eyes for most of the ride.  Will I do it again?  Yep, but I'm installing a seat belt and getting better ear plugs.  I'll be darned if I am going to give up everything I love just because of this AN journey.  I fall off the staionary bike in PT all the time.  Just can't get the hang of it.  I could post my bruises tofor show and tell!
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT