Author Topic: cost of Phonak hearing aid  (Read 114794 times)

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: cost of Phonak hearing aid
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2012, 03:53:27 pm »
My batteries are supplied to me by the VA at no cost to me.  Both my Cros and Hearing aid use the same size battery, the 312.  I wish they had used a better choice because I only get 2 days out of them.  That means I am going thru a battery a day which can be a pain, you always have to have a supply close by.  That's about the only draw back I have on the Phonak Cros.
Paul

Looks like you and I have a lot in common. I received my Phonak Audeo and Cros from the VA as well as my AN diagnosis, all within the last few months and found this site the other day.

So far, in reading the comments about the Phonak equipment, I don't believe anybody's mentioned using their remote control device.

I found that I was getting a lot of annoying background noise in restaurants and social settings. I read about the various features of the hearing aids that could be accessed by the remote (including volume control) and was able to have the audiologist at the VA order me a MyPilot remote. I got it this week and tried it in a restaurant yesterday with some positive results. Not perfect, but it did tone down the background noise a bit.

The other benefit is that I no longer have to keep poking the buttons to adjust the volume.

Do you have the remote?
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

mk

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2012, 07:55:46 pm »
Thank you for the tip for the remote control device. How much it it cost? I will make sure to ask about it.

I have one more question: I have narrowed my choices to two suppliers: The public hospital-based supplier offers the Phonak Cross for $1,650, whereas a private supplier has quoted $2,470 (both costs are after the govenrment deduction of $500).   This is a $820 difference. These are Canadian dollars, but let's assume a 1:1 conversion rate with the US dollar.
One of the differences in the pricing is that the cost of the private supplier includes 3 years of battery supply, which based on what I have read here would amount to about $300. So still more expensive. However upon reading the policy more carefully I also see that they provide a 3 year warranty (compared to 2 years from the first supplier), and 3 years supply of tubes, domes and O-BTE supplies (whatever that means), versus two years provided by the first supplier. Does anyone know if the one year difference in warranty and tube supply make a big difference in terms of cost? 

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Paul F

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2012, 04:11:41 pm »
I don't see where you are also comparing service.  What is the hospital going to charge you to set up and program your unit?  From an outside source, that would normally be included.  Check it out, visits to audio's can get expensive.

arizonajack

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2012, 05:40:34 pm »
Thank you for the tip for the remote control device. How much it it cost? I will make sure to ask about it.   

I think I've seen prices for the MyPilot of $400 to $500 online and some places offering it for $250 as part of the package with the hearing aids.

Phonak also has some cheaper remote controls.

http://www.phonak.com/us/b2c/en/products/accessories.html

You can get a lot of information from Phonak's website and then google the items for an idea of the prices.

I have one more question: I have narrowed my choices to two suppliers: The public hospital-based supplier offers the Phonak Cross for $1,650, whereas a private supplier has quoted $2,470 (both costs are after the govenrment deduction of $500).   This is a $820 difference. These are Canadian dollars, but let's assume a 1:1 conversion rate with the US dollar.
One of the differences in the pricing is that the cost of the private supplier includes 3 years of battery supply, which based on what I have read here would amount to about $300. So still more expensive. However upon reading the policy more carefully I also see that they provide a 3 year warranty (compared to 2 years from the first supplier), and 3 years supply of tubes, domes and O-BTE supplies (whatever that means), versus two years provided by the first supplier. Does anyone know if the one year difference in warranty and tube supply make a big difference in terms of cost?   

Find out the number of batteries that the dealer considers the 3 year's worth. You can get 60 batteries (P31) from Amazon for 18.44. That's .307 per battery. $300 worth is 977 batteries. But if you use 2 batteries say, every three days, that 729 batteries in 3 years. You get the idea.

Same with the supplies. You have to figure out the quantity and price them separately online to see which is a deal.

As for the longer warranty. Like anything else you pay more for the longer warranty.

Something else to keep in mind. If you buy from the lower price dealer and pay for your own supplies you spread your costs out over a long period and have a lower acquisition cost.

If you pay the higher cost is the dealer going to give you the whole 3 year's supplies at time of purchase or will it be order when you need it over the next 3 years and hope he stays in business.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm

mk

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2012, 06:55:56 pm »
I don't see where you are also comparing service.  What is the hospital going to charge you to set up and program your unit?  From an outside source, that would normally be included.  Check it out, visits to audio's can get expensive.

Thank you for the good points and the link.

As far as I can tell the service is comparable. It includes unlimited visits for adjustments during the trial period (90 days from both dealers). But I will check out again what happens after the trial period. The visits to the audiologist are covered by the provincial health plan.

I suppose it is best to ask about the remote as well - perhaps one of the dealers could offer a better price if they include it in the package. Or perhaps it might be better to wait and see first if I like the aid, before ordering anything additional.  I will also ask about the cost of fittings etc.

Marianna

GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

arizonajack

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2012, 07:35:54 pm »

Thank you for the good points and the link.

As far as I can tell the service is comparable. It includes unlimited visits for adjustments during the trial period (90 days from both dealers). But I will check out again what happens after the trial period. The visits to the audiologist are covered by the provincial health plan.

I suppose it is best to ask about the remote as well - perhaps one of the dealers could offer a better price if they include it in the package. Or perhaps it might be better to wait and see first if I like the aid, before ordering anything additional.  I will also ask about the cost of fittings etc.

Marianna

If, by trial period, you mean you can return the equipment for a full refund within 90 days, then I would highly recommend you get the remote at the beginning.

I had the Audeo and the Cros for a couple of months and I was constantly reaching up to poke the volume buttons. The button on the right raised the volume and the button on the left lowered the volume.

With the remote control you don't have to do that. Plus you have a variety of features you can switch to for different hearing situations that you find yourself in.

The Phonak website has all the users' manuals for all the equipment. You can review them in advance and get an idea how things work.

http://www.phonak.com/us/b2c/en/products/hearing_instruments.html

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm

mk

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2012, 06:02:51 pm »

You can get 60 batteries (P31) from Amazon for 18.44. That's .307 per battery. $300 worth is 977 batteries. But if you use 2 batteries say, every three days, that 729 batteries in 3 years. You get the idea.

So I checked amazon.ca (the Canadian site) for battery prices. They charge $8.95 for a pack of 8  :o . As opposed to about $6.80 for a pack of 16 from amazon.com. Isn't this insane? I can't understand why retailers always charge so much more for everything in Canada  >:D

I guess I can still order from amazon.com, I will check into this, and I also heard that Costco sells 30 batteries for $9.99. If I can find a supplier who sells batteries for a decent price, I guess it will make sense to choose the cheaper price for the aids. I also checked about the remote, and you were right, I can arrange to get it with the trial period.

Marianna

mk

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2012, 01:44:28 pm »
I ordered the aids today. I was told that because my right ear is not "aidable" the remote is included in the system for free! I don't understand what is the significance of the ear not being aidable (isn't this true for all Phonak Cros users?). But anyway, I was so happy about this, thank you so much arizonajack for mentioning the remote, I would have never thought about it.

I have a few questions for people who are already using the system. Can you talk on the phone with your bad ear? Does sound feel altered in any way (for example in terms of volume) in your good ear because of the piece that goes inside the canal?
What is the cleaning process for the piece that goes inside the canal? I was told that it can be a bit of a problem if your ear produces a lot of wax (mine does). How often do you need to replace the tubes?

Marianna

arizonajack

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2012, 04:12:09 pm »
I ordered the aids today. I was told that because my right ear is not "aidable" the remote is included in the system for free! I don't understand what is the significance of the ear not being aidable (isn't this true for all Phonak Cros users?).

I don't understand it either. The whole idea for the Cros is for people with complete loss of hearing in one ear. Might just be some sort of marketing thing with your dealer or the manufacturer. I don't know. My remote didn't come as part of the package, I had to ask for it. I guess it's different through the VA.

Anyway, getting it free is wonderful.

But anyway, I was so happy about this, thank you so much arizonajack for mentioning the remote, I would have never thought about it.

Happy to help.

Can you talk on the phone with your bad ear?

You mean, holding the receiver to your bad year? Depends on how much residual hearing is left in the bad ear. Mine is practically none so what I hear is so faint that it's not worth the effort.

Does sound feel altered in any way (for example in terms of volume) in your good ear because of the piece that goes inside the canal?

You'll have to wait and see. I don't wear mine around the house so I haven't had the occasion to talk on the phone with it in the ear canal. I would guess, however, that there would have to be some muffling of the sound.

What is the cleaning process for the piece that goes inside the canal?

You'll probably get a little brush with your kit. I use that and Q-tips.

I was told that it can be a bit of a problem if your ear produces a lot of wax (mine does). How often do you need to replace the tubes?

I've replaced my wax traps twice in the few months that I've had the equipment. Your mileage may vary.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm

Paul F

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2012, 01:05:00 pm »
I have been using the new Phonak Cros for about a year.  I go thru 1 Battery in each unit every two days.  That amounts to 1095 batteries over a three year time period.  If Phonak would increase the battery to a 13 from the 312 it now uses, the system battery would last twice as long.  Have made that suggestion to Phonak but I'm just an old cowboy in Oregon and not an engineer.

Paul

TexasSprinter

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2013, 12:09:23 am »
Paul--they must have been listening to you.  I'm starting later this week a 60-day trial period of the Phonak Cros H2O, which is water resistant and uses a size 13 battery.  I think they released it in June 2012 or so. 

arizonajack

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2013, 10:55:09 am »
Paul--they must have been listening to you.  I'm starting later this week a 60-day trial period of the Phonak Cros H2O, which is water resistant and uses a size 13 battery.  I think they released it in June 2012 or so.

Did you get the My Pilot remote with all the programs? It's very versatile.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm

Paul F

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2013, 02:06:33 pm »
I'm ready to upgrade but don't know if the VA is.  Will have to try.  Yes, the my pilot is kind of neat, it came with my Phonak Cros.  I don't know if its part of a normal package or the VA just threw it in.

Paul

arizonajack

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2013, 07:12:17 pm »
I'm ready to upgrade but don't know if the VA is.  Will have to try.  Yes, the my pilot is kind of neat, it came with my Phonak Cros.  I don't know if its part of a normal package or the VA just threw it in.

Paul

I guess it depends on which VA and which audiologist.

When I got mine, the audiologist just ordered the Audeo and Cros hearing aids. Wasn't until I started using them that I learned about the remotes and the features. I called up and asked if I could get one and she just said OK and ordered it. I was able to pick it up and start using it a couple of weeks later.

I've had mine for 11 months now. My only complaint is that it's not very good about noise reduction. I wouldn't mind upgrading to a better noise reduction system but I think I might be stuck for another year or so with what I've got.

Looks like Phonak has a bunch of new products and features that werent around last year:

http://www.phonak.com/us/b2c/en/products/hearing_instruments/features.html

Let me know if you succeed in getting your upgrade and how it works.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm

TexasSprinter

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2013, 02:16:16 pm »
I missed this post and question somehow:

"Did you get the My Pilot remote with all the programs? It's very versatile."
I did not get it yet. I want to wait and see if I'm going to keep it. I'm impressed with the sound but not yet used to having the tubes in my ears.