Author Topic: One Year Anniversary Neurostimulator Implant  (Read 3864 times)

staypoz

One Year Anniversary Neurostimulator Implant
« on: January 17, 2012, 12:19:43 pm »
This week marks the one year anniversary of my procedure to have a neurostimulator implanted to help me deal with my chronic post-op headaches.  I am happy to report that I pretty much able to manage the daily head pain with my little device.  I only take some kind of OTC medicine when I need to.  I still battle with brainwrecks, but the intervals between them is increasing, and the magic machine helps me tame the pain.  People tell me I look younger -- no wonder, I'm getting more sleep and am not weighed down with chronic pain -- and I have been able to increase my physical activity considerably.  I am now walking between 15-18 miles a week.  Before my procedure, I'd go for a walk and then have to settle in with some NSAIDs and an ice pack and hope I didn't develop a brainwreck.  Now, I just crank up the amplitude of the stimulation that masks the pain and go on with my day. 

Before you have a permanent implant, you undergo a several -day trial.  My doctor interviewed me at that time and it's posted on his website, washingtonpaincenter.com  I tried a lot of different treatments and saw several different doctors, before undergoing the trial.  The treatment isn't for everyone and there are no promises that it will totally mask your pain. 

From all I've heard from folks who've suffered from post-op head pain, eventually, the pain goes away.  I'm optimistic that day will come for me and when it does, I'll have the device removed.  In the meantime,  I feel better than I have since I developed these headaches several weeks after I had my surgery.   

Here's to headache free days for everyone!
staypoz

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: One Year Anniversary Neurostimulator Implant
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 02:50:06 pm »
staypoz ~

Congratulations on being (relatively) headache-free and able to live life to it's fullest!  Your message is very encouraging.  Thank you for posting.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 02:13:07 pm »
Stapoz,
I love hearing a success story from a headache friend . Thanks for keeping us posted on your journey to become headache free. Taming these pain nerves can be a challenge!

Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

Mei Mei

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 10:13:49 pm »
Congratulations and I'm glad to hear you're feeling better.   Yes, the headaches age us as the pictures show in my before and after surgery pics.    Three cheers that you are looking younger!
I remember a poem from when I was in high school:     Good, Better, Best
                                                                                    Never let it rest
                                                                                    Till good is better and better is best!

Mei Mei   ;D
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh