Author Topic: Pre-Treatment Balance Issues  (Read 3391 times)

lrobie

Pre-Treatment Balance Issues
« on: January 13, 2012, 01:48:08 pm »
I've been wanting to post about my balance issues.  I haven't had any treatment at this point.  What I had been feeling is when I would go to lean to one side or the other, I would lose my balance and then have to correct it.  It's very hard to describe.  The newest thing that has been happening is I will be walking to a destination, say to the kitchen sink.  Once I get there, I feel like my upper body wants to keep moving forward and I have to try a little harder to stop from going forward.  Sound familiar?

I've also had this question.  When you go to your check-ups with the neurosurgeon, they have you do all these things like touching your nose, walking in a straight line, toe to heel.  I have always been able to do that.  I noticed lately that when walking in the dark, I tend to sway a little more.  Thus, I tried doing the heel to toe walk with my eyes closed.  OMG - Either that's the test the doctor's should be doing or I'm just not good at it.  I've taken yoga and pilates over the years and felt that my balance has always been a strength of mine.  What type of tests do they do to check your balance?  Has anyone else tried the eyes closed test?

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Re: Pre-Treatment Balance Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 05:10:45 pm »
Lisa

Yes eye sight is part of your balance system.  I was told by my doctor the balance system has three parts eyesight, muscular, and inner ear.  If one or more are not working correctly, then your balance will be off.  To answer your question, that is one of the first test my doctor did.  He told me to close my eyes and walk in place for 1 minute.  By the time I was done he had to back completely out of the exam room as I traveled across the office without even knowing that I did.

Not a laughing matter but my wife really had a hard time not laughing!

TJ