Author Topic: How to decide what's best, microsurgery or radiosurgery?  (Read 1709 times)

mchp82

How to decide what's best, microsurgery or radiosurgery?
« on: February 08, 2012, 10:01:15 pm »
After exploring the options, reading the experiences and all, I'm thinking it may be best for me to go down the road of microsurgery with my parents approval. As of 8 months ago (I'm long overdue for an MRI, waiting for the authorization from the insurance) my AN was 6 mm transversally by 2 mm (I believe that's the terms used on the MRI report, but I know the numbers are right). Recently out of the blue, I'm having balance problems to the point if I can't move my foot in front of me or behind me then I fall flat on my back or face, fall stepping over things, etc. so I'd prefer to have this removed in one shot rather than waiting for it to go away on its own through the use of Gammaknife or Cyberknife.

My concerns are of course the many things that can happen with the surgery, are there any complications that can occur due to me being 16? Can quality of life be greatly affected? How long is recovery to the point where I'd be able to return to school?

I've just got all these questions and worries running through my mind, so some answers would be wonderful to help soothe my nerves.

In addition instead of creating a new thread, has anyone heard of a Dr. Abbott at the pediatric department at Montefiore in the bronx?

Can anyone recommend any other neurosurgeons who would operate on a 16 year old in southern NY/LI area.

Thank you for the help, it is greatly appreciated,
     Mike.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Re: How to decide what's best, microsurgery or radiosurgery?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 07:25:24 am »
Mike
Being you are 16 I'm sure you are on Facebook. Go there and type in Acoustice Neuroma/Vestibular Schwannoma Group and you will find great people there too. There is a gal there named Isabelle she if from Quebec I think and she just had her 3rd surgery. She is doing great. Whatever road you take we are all here to support you.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012