Author Topic: Salonpas  (Read 11557 times)

Mei Mei

Salonpas
« on: December 21, 2011, 02:09:15 am »
Dear all,
My daughter had a baby last Saturday at 5:12 a.m. and she called me at 7 a.m. so I pput all the things in the car and drove down to Virginia 3 hours away.  I I was starting to get headaches even before her birth  but that night I had my first brain wreck in a long time.   Sunday night and last night were worse and now my fibromyalgia Myofacial pain has started which I hadn't had in over 10 yEARS.   I called my nurse practitioner that helped me and keeps helping me and she said to go to an Urgent care.   I ended up in the ER and they gave me Dilaudid.   It didn't touch the pain and now am constipated from it.    Nothing works for these headaches that involves taking a pill.    I went to the Chinese grocery store and got a box of Salonpas.   Now you can even find it in a large box at Costco.   There are even tv commercials for it.   I was listening to Chinese tv commercials for Salonpas back in 1965 in Taiwan.    Well, what do you know after half an hour with the Salonpas on the forehead down the hair line and on my jaw, surgical side of my neck, sub occipital area and sides of my ribs down to my waist....the pain eased up and I was fine.   Yes, the neck is still stiff and so is the sub occipital area, but it's not a brain wreck any more and I could actually talk with my daughter and grandkids.    So now I am up late trying to work on the constipation.   I used up the entire box of Salonpas and will buy another box before I leave for Washington DC at noon.   Will make a trip  to Costco which will probably be horrible because of XMAS around the corner.

I don't know why I made this regression in my headache problem.   Dilaudid used to work for me and it is really heavy stuff.   

I highly recommend buying several boxes to keep on hand.   This stuff really works.
Night All!
Mei Mei :o
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Salonpas
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 03:23:58 pm »
Mei Mei ~

I'm sorry to learn that your 'brainwreck' headaches reappeared (at the worst possible time, of course) but delighted to read that you found a solution in Solonpas analgesic patches.  I've never used them but I know they're manufactured in Japan, have been around a long time and are very popular in Asia.  Although not quite a 'cure', the fact that they allow you to function through a 'brainwreck' headache situation is very good news.  Thanks for the tip.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mei Mei

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 06:46:42 pm »
Thanks, Jim.   If you're going to have brain wrecks, you might as well make them more comfortable.   My doctor thinks it's all the managing to get away to see the baby and daughter and managing my father from long distance.   Our bodies can only take so much.
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 07:35:02 pm »
Nothing involving taking a pill has EVER worked for me either.  I've run the gamut of trigger point injections,occipital nerve blocks, Botox, not to mention so many preventive meds I can't even remember their names.  At almost 9 years post-op
my daily headaches are gone for the most part, but I sure can get a wake-up-with brainwreck every once in a while.  I have been able to beg Sumavil DosePro pens from 2 docs--it is injectable Imitrex and since Imitrex has gone generic you'd think it would be cheaper!  It eats up around $100 a dose of my insurance allotment.  With Medicare it is cheaper for me to go to the ER and get a shot of this than it is to pay for it.  That just don't make no SENSE at all!  Friggin' drug companies!  I'm going to try the Salonpas if I see 'em.  You go Mei Mei!!!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 08:11:31 pm »
Mei mei,

I'm in. I'll give it a go. my headaches have got worse rather than better. neurontin helps but to be effective i have to take too much of it and i can't function at work. catch 22 unfortunately. I was also told that neurontin can affect your cholestoral level (thx for not telling me Docs)!!!!

Deb, welcome back ya scurvy ridden wench.

cheers

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Mei Mei

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 07:52:07 pm »
 ;D  Salopas rocks.   Don't take anything by mouth.   It'll be in Costco or CVS.

I;m sure you'll feel better once you get it and do Tai Chi chuan  Chen style.

MM
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo