Author Topic: Severe post-op issues  (Read 5876 times)

godftamm

Severe post-op issues
« on: December 17, 2011, 10:51:33 pm »
It's only been 2 weeks since my surgery and I feel the same way i did before there found the dumb tumor. Right now it the throwing up and the cold that wont go away and the eye trouble that bugs me all the time. Then there my face since I surgery my face is getting worse not better. I cant smile, I cry at every military commercial so I keep the tv off during the day with sun glasses. Everything is so bright it hurt my head. I get this look like from my friends that there happy I'm hear but my face makes them not really look at me. The day after my surgery my father in law died and I start to breath so hard I cant breath. I'm sorry but I need to get answers and everyone says with time but that's really not me. I'm sixteen years soldier and I take care of myself but right now I feel so out of control. I've tried crying it doesn't work. If anyone can help me with answer I would be thankful.

davecz

• Magic Scarf Ride
Re: Severe post-op issues
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 10:18:49 pm »
Do you know if there is a support group near you. It sounds as though you may benefit from meeting with other post op AN patients. I have not had surgery yet myself, but I thought I'd respond to your post anyway. I'm a 13 year Veteran, so if there is anything I could do to help don't hesitate to send me a private message. It sounds as though you are dealing with a lot. Do you have family there with you during your post op recovery.
Diagnosed 11/23/2011, R-AN, 3.0cm, Age: 51, very
athletic, symptoms; Sudden hearing loss R Ear, balance
 issues, fatigue, tinnitus. Surgery HEI, 04/27/2012, Dr.
Friedman & Swartz. Post op, translab, 100% tumor removal,
Facial nerve intact, no balance issues, released 3 days post op,
Doing grea

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 11:15:06 am »
Keep in mind, that immediately post surgery you are not well. It takes time to heal. I found there was a significant set of emotional challenges to work through immediately following my return to awareness (which was about 4-5 days post).

Please, take time to heal, to be good to yourself. You are on a journey to wellness, not at the destination.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

alabamajane

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 12:04:55 pm »
I am only 7 weeks post op and just now beginning to feel anything like my old self.. You don't mention what type of surgery you had, I had translab and the facial nerve had to be severed due to involvement of the tumor.. so I too encountered raw emotions after I "awoke" from the surgery. I even had two surgeries in 5 days,,, the right side of my face is numb, I don't smile like I did, my eye does not "work" like it did,, it has a gold weight in it to help it close , , my tongue is numb on one side,, and none of this was "supposed" to happen going into surgery although I knew it was a possibility... still does not make it any easier to accept.. one  thing to keep in mind is your body is full of meds from hospital and anesthesia and possibly steroids and once those get out of your system you will feel much more like your old self.. it took me about three-four weeks to really feel much better. I believe, and I am not a Dr by any means,, but I think even your emotions will settle down in a few weeks. I remember the Dr telling me at discharge to remember that I would NOT always be like I was at that moment.. things would get better for me and I am sure it will for you. Also, I remember first time my husband took me out "in public" for dinner and I still to this day sit facing away from other customers, but I remember watching other people laugh and talk "normally" and I just started boo-hooing at the table.. cause I no longer "looked" that way nor  did my face react that way.. it is better now,, I guess you just accept what you are facing at some point and start to move forward with a positive attitude that it WILL get better!
I hope you have family that is supportive and I agree a support group or even someone from the "willing to talk" list in your area would be most helpful for you right now.. PM me if you would like to talk or ask any questions and I will try to help...just remember that everything is so RAW right now and new,, and even though you don't think you can stand to wait any longer,, just take each day as it comes and get through it believing that it is better than yesterday.. Sorry you are dealing with a cold too,, that is not good, I hope that part is better too.. also be thankful and happy this Holiday season that you survived your surgery, have it behind you and are able to move forward and have that "dumb" thing out of your head!! That is how I survive bad days.... Best of luck to you, I remember just how you are feeling and it is hard to see a brighter side ,,, but it is there,, believe me!!! Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 06:11:43 pm »
Hello, I read your post and am just wondering if you have raised these concerns with your doctor? If you are on certain meds these may trigger depressive moods. I know when I was on the steroids I did not feel like myself.  Anyways, please if you haven't already consult a support group as was already suggested or seek your doctor's input.  Sometimes they can refer you to someone who can help you.  You've been through a tramatic surgery and are only 2 weeks out post surgery so things are still bound to be jumbled and mixed up.  Take care and let us know how it goes!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

LADavid

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 03:35:32 pm »
I sounded just like you about a month or two post-surgery.  I did improve over time.  The one thing that you do need to be concerned with is your eye.  Are you in the care of an eye doc?  A dry cornea could lead to long term severe conditions that can be avoided.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

godftamm

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 08:54:02 pm »
Thank you for everything you said. There no support groups in my area. I checked. I have a appointment on Jan 10 and have someone coming in to help and talk to you. There's alot of things that have changed with me. Still have lots of questions. Will learn more in time.