Author Topic: Thyroid Surgery  (Read 13190 times)

lholl36233

Thyroid Surgery
« on: December 14, 2011, 08:10:19 am »
Hi,

Due to the successful outcome I had with Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear for my temporal bone hemangioma and being directed there by all my friends on this board, I decided to go back to Mass Eye and Ear when told I needed thyroid surgery.  I found another Best of Boston otolarnyngolosit, Dr. Randolph to do the procedure.   I amazed myself at how easily I got in and out of Boston.

Thinkk of me on February 10.

Happy Holidays!

Laura
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Thyroid Surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 09:26:00 am »
Hi Laura .....

Sorry you are having to go through yet another surgical procedure, but grateful you have found a good doctor.  Peace over the holidays and many thoughts and prayers for February!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 11:25:47 am »
I had 2 thyroid surgeries this past year--piece of cake compared to brain surgery, no?  Hope you have a good outcome and easy procedure

Capt >:D Deb
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 12:15:30 pm by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 12:12:26 pm »
Me again Laura,
If they take your whole thyroid, which I hope they didn't--well then, welcome to the world of being kept alive by a little green pill!!!!

CAPT DEB
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 12:14:32 pm by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

alabamajane

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 02:48:12 pm »
good luck with your thyroid surgery Laura,, it is nothing compared to brain surgery, so I hope you do well. I had mine removed due to thyroid cancer in 2004, , one radioactive iodine treatment and on to a life of synthroid pill every morning... but very easy surgery as surgeries go... best of luck and our thoughts will be with you.. Happy Holidays in the meantime... Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

YYZAN

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 03:24:48 pm »
I too had thyroid cancer some years ago.  Does it strike anyone else on here as strange that there appears to be a much higher occurrence of Thyroid Cancer in our AN community than in the general population?

In fact one of the reasons I was so hesitant about Gamma Knife was a concern I had (my AN being my second tumour) that I was somehow extra prone and as a result stood a higher risk of brain cancer as a result of GK.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 04:14:52 pm »
I too had thyroid cancer some years ago.  Does it strike anyone else on here as strange that there appears to be a much higher occurrence of Thyroid Cancer in our AN community than in the general population?

In fact one of the reasons I was so hesitant about Gamma Knife was a concern I had (my AN being my second tumour) that I was somehow extra prone and as a result stood a higher risk of brain cancer as a result of GK.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

YYZAN ~

I don't have any statistics on hand but I have serious doubts that there is any correlation between developing an acoustic neuroma and developing thyroid cancer.  Of course I'm not a doctor and could be wrong.  So, If you or anyone else can find statistics to support that speculation, it would be appreciated.  Until then, I'll adhere to my belief that thyroid cancers have no relation to acoustic neuromas or the radiosurgery procedures used to destroy them.

The concerns over developing brain cancer after undergoing Gamma Knife treatment for an acoustic neuroma are unsubstantiated by statistics showing this risk as infinitesimal. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lholl36233

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 04:25:01 pm »
The funny thing is I've had an underactive thyroid for 24 years now.  The only question will be what color my little pill will be after surgery.  Right now it is purple.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Happy Holidays!

Laura
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 05:18:27 am »
Hi,

Due to the successful outcome I had with Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear for my temporal bone hemangioma and being directed there by all my friends on this board, I decided to go back to Mass Eye and Ear when told I needed thyroid surgery.  I found another Best of Boston otolarnyngolosit, Dr. Randolph to do the procedure.   I amazed myself at how easily I got in and out of Boston.

Thinkk of me on February 10.

Happy Holidays!

Laura

Laura

1/2 my thyroid removed by Dr. Mark Ott at MGH (I think he is now out west).  I KNOW you are in fantastic hands!  Will absolutely be thinking of you and without traffic, only 15-20 mins from MGH :) 

xo
Phyl
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 05:22:41 am by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 01:26:38 pm »
Interesting, as I was reading Laura's post I too was wondering if there is any correlation between thyroid problems and AN.  I too have been being monitored for the past three years for thyroid problems and have noticed several members mentioning thyroid problems.

Good luck Laura I will keep you in my thoughts.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 02:25:44 pm »
I had my thyroid out in 2006. I have had MANY surgeries & this is definitely the one I'd recommend - piece of cake!!

BTW, I take the hot pink pill (as does my sweet little mama)!

Good luck!!
;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

New girl

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 05:47:39 pm »
I still have my thyroid but it has been underactive for many years now - currently taking the hot pink pill.  I heard in the news that there has been a recent spike in thyroid cancer without a known cause.  Anyways...good luck Laura!
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

alabamajane

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 09:14:37 am »
Laura,
Another aspect of the thyroid issue/possible correlation, is the incidence of a parathyroid  adenoma occurring. When I had my thyroid removed due to cancer in one of several nodules I had had for several years, the Dr found an enlarged parathyroid  on the same side. I was not even aware of what the parathyroid was ,, we  each have 4 , two on each side of neck behind thyroid gland that are unrelated to thyroid but related to calcium levels in body..(I am not the Dr here,, just what I remember him telling me). upon research for AN I found on the Mayo Clinic website under "risk factors" a history of parathyroid adenoma,  a benign tumor of the neck...... interesting even though it did not mention the thyroid cancer or thyroid itself.. it is very close in proximity to it.. also, both the cancer and the parathyroid tumor were on the same side of neck as AN was in my head!! Hmmmmm.............
Just food for thought here,, have a great Holidays..
translab Oct 27, 2011

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 12:47:48 pm »
Alabamajane, I wonder if it's more related to calcium levels & how the body deals with calcium.  I, too, have thyroid nodules.  Other medical problems I've had over the years have also mentioned calcium levels & the lack of the body to be able to metabolize calcium correctly.  Makes me wonder then, should I be taking all those calcium pills? 

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

alabamajane

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 08:13:11 am »
Hi Karen,
I really don't know much about the calcium issue as I never research the parathyroid much after they took it out. I was more concerned with beating the thyroid cancer, , the parathyroid tumor was just a "side show"..... no Dr has ever suggested I need take more calcium other than GYN,, due to HRT.. and I still don't take them,, I hate pills.. I hope you visit with your endocronologist regularly to keep track of the nodules.. I dealt with them for about 25 yrs though before one calcified and was cancerous..and like I said, Drs. did not know about parathyroid until he got in there to remove thyroid.. maybe a question to ask Dr next visit,, about your calcium levels and need for additional calcium pills.. let us know if he says anything about correlation.... Happy Holidays, jane
translab Oct 27, 2011