Author Topic: Six years and counting!  (Read 2948 times)

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
Six years and counting!
« on: December 12, 2011, 06:05:51 pm »
Hello all,
Thought I should write my update since I have been away for some time. I never meant to stay away but somehow life took over. To those of you that do not know me yet,  I was first diagnosed with a fairly large AN. I had surgery in August of 2005 and it turned out that my tumor was actually a facial neuroma. One year later my MRI showed a possible regrowth but, we were hoping it was only scar tissue. Well..no such luck! My tumor is slowly growing but, still not to a dangerous size.

I decided that I would make the very best of my situation. I went back to school. I earned my BA in 2009. I am now studying in a Graduate program at the University of Illinois. However, another health roadblock popped up last winter. Once again I was feeling terrible...and once again I tried to write it off to "just stress".  Through a series of things..first a low back injury that led to a diagnosis of severe osteoporosis, then since I am a little too young for that and I have no know risk factors, my doctors began a search for how my bones could be so bad. They found that I had Thyroid cancer that had metastasized to my lymph nodes and surrounding tissue.

I had surgery with a total thyroidectomy on March 1st. I went back to school this fall and have my last final tomorrow. Next semester I am going to try to do a full load while I am able. I am absolutely determined to get my MS. I may be getting to an age where I won't use it for long, if at all...but D*%%#@T...I worked too hard to quit now.  8)

I am always ready to listen and offer any support. Just send me a note.

Hugs all, Sherry
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Six years and counting!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 09:50:25 pm »
Hi Sherry .....

I was not on the forum when you had your first surgery, but we do share a common bond with a regrowth situation.

My first surgery was in February, 2008 to remove a 2.6 cm AN.  The very first MRI (at six months) showed an "area of enhancement" that was felt to be scar tissue until it suddenly grew to 1.3 cm at the three-year MRI.  Second surgery was in May, 2011 and I am doing well.

It sounds like you have some additional serious issues, which could complicate your situation.  I pray it all stays under control and you are able to complete your dream of achieving the MS.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Lou

Re: Six years and counting!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 02:57:35 pm »
Hi,I wasn't around first time either. Bless you,sometimes I think having a crazy and hectic life must be the common ground here, but I also think it is what keeps us sane......... I, like you have facial neuroma's I have two (lucky me) one on either side. I am very recently diagnosed, only a few weeks, but I shall pray and hope that I can keep laughing about the situation. I have given my neuroma's names and have told my coworker that he was ''doing my head in'' and now I have proof.They think it's great that I can laugh about it, but they are what they are and there is nothing I can do about it. Keep going and please keep us updated.
love and prayers are with you
Mand
''The more difficulties one has to encounter, within and without, the more significant and the higher in inspiration his life will be''

Bilateral facial nerve neuromas
8mm left side and 7mm right side. diagnosed late 2011.Watch and Wait Staus -  Currently at
the mercy of the English NHS system