Author Topic: Never say never  (Read 4313 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Never say never
« on: October 29, 2011, 12:06:16 pm »
For almost 4 years now I've said many times on this Forum that my BAHA site has never been infected.  Well last week that all changed  ::)

Very small infection at the bottom edge of my abutment.  Saw my outstanding neurotologist who has me treating it with bacitracin 2x a day.  Hopefully when I go back to see him on Wednesday it will be all cleared up.

We talked a little about BAHA site "rules" and he gave me the following wisdom.

Do NOT use hydrogen peroxide to clean your BAHA site (I never did - but know many who do).  Studies have shown that using hydrogen peroxide can lead to skin growing over the abutment.

He also told me that my abutment is too far from my scalp - as it should be - to enable the skin to regrow and cover it. 

I asked him if my lack of "diligent" hygiene in cleaning my site may have led to my infection - I do nothing more than shampoo my hair daily and that's what cleans my site.  He said that I'm actually better off doing that - that many use a soft brush or wash cloth which can lead to irritation and subsequent infection.  Most unintentially "scrub" the area too hard; best to just leave it alone.

He said my infection is actually due to a tiny hair follicle that must have been left behind during my implant when he scraped the follicles off my scalp.  It's very easy for a surgeon to leave follicles behind - no negligence on his part.

Despite this small infection, I remain enamored with my BAHA - and my BP100.  The implant surgery was one of the best decisions I ever made and I can't imagine living my life with unaided SSD.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Never say never
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 12:25:49 pm »
Hi, Jan ~

I'm sorry to learn about your BAHA abutment infection but I'm glad it's relatively minor and should clear up fairly quickly.  Thanks for the BAHA site cleaning 'rules' - which are pretty simple to follow.  Your many informative posts on BAHA issues are much appreciated.
   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 04:21:38 pm »
Jan .....

Bummer to have an infection pop up this long afterwards!  Guess I had better be diligent, per your "rules."   :)  Actually I was given pretty much the same rules, with the exception my audiologist told me I should gently use the soft brush that came with my Ponto every 2 or 3 days to keep the scaling (dandruff type stuff) from collecting around the post.

My abutment, too, is well above my scalp so there is no way the skin could grow over mine.

Just normal shampooing seems to be working well for me now ..... hope it continues.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 01:26:53 pm »
Infection is a thing of the past.  Neosporin did the trick  ;D

Life is good!

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 02:20:55 pm »
Jan ~

Thanks for the update.  I'm glad to learn that it was easily fixed.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 05:50:26 pm »
That was, luckily, very quick!  I guess we all have to be on the lookout.
Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

spgreenfield

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 09:03:20 am »
So how did you know it was infected?  Tenderness?  Should we have a spouse inspect it weekly or something?  Or use mirrors to take a look at it?

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 02:38:43 pm »
So how did you know it was infected?  Tenderness?  Should we have a spouse inspect it weekly or something?  Or use mirrors to take a look at it?

Pam

Tenderness or swelling can lead to infection.  I would check it or have your doctor check it as soon as possible to prevent further problems.  You can have your spouse or use a mirror to look at it.  You might see some redness, swelling, or something might drain from it like a puss or blood.
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 12:15:30 pm »
Not to be gross, or too graphic, but I had "crust" (dried pus) at the bottom of my abutment.

I noticed it when I washed my hair - my fingernail felt something hard and it wasn't the titanium.  I had my daughter look at it (ewww.... in her words) and she said it looked red.

At that point, I went to my doc (neurotologist).  He said I had a "pimple" near the abutment - which is extremely common (although I'd never had an infection before; almost 4 years).  These pimples are basically infected hair follicles.  Docs scrap the follicles away from your scalp when they do the implant, but once in a while one or two remain.  They can be tough little suckers to remove  :)

Just for the record, I don't look at my BAHA site in the mirror - haven't done that since I first got it and it was healing - so it's not something you have to regularly check.  Living with two teenagers - no grownups among us, but me - no one "inspects" it. 

Jan

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 01:17:38 pm »
I noticed it when I washed my hair - my fingernail felt something hard and it wasn't the titanium.  I had my daughter look at it (ewww.... in her words) and she said it looked red.

At that point, I went to my doc (neurotologist).  He said I had a "pimple" near the abutment - which is extremely common (although I'd never had an infection before; almost 4 years).  These pimples are basically infected hair follicles.  Docs scrap the follicles away from your scalp when they do the implant, but once in a while one or two remain.  They can be tough little suckers to remove  :)

I had that problem at every Spring when the weather starts to get warmer.  I had to go see my surgeon to clean and scrape off the blackheads and pimples.  He would prescribed anti-biotic to clear up the infection.  I still get occasional crusting so I just clean them up almost every morning after I wash my hair and apply bracvtrin on it.   
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.