Author Topic: Cholesteatoma AFTER Acoustic Neuroma Surgery  (Read 5254 times)

glewis

Cholesteatoma AFTER Acoustic Neuroma Surgery
« on: December 05, 2011, 10:35:53 am »
I have recently been diagnosed with a cholesteatoma years after I had Acoustic Neuroma Surgery.  It is unrelated to my AN and pretty rare.  Has anyone else had this situation?

DavidF

Re: Cholesteatoma AFTER Acoustic Neuroma Surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 04:33:06 am »
I just had my ~ 18 month follow-up to Cyberknife radiation surgery.  The MRI showed that the AN on my right ear had not changed.  I've lost most of my hearing in my right ear.

However the MRI showed that I probably have small cholesteatoma on my left ear.   Learning that cholesteatoma can affect hearing so nervous what the cholesteatoma will mean to hearing.  I had many ear infections as a child, but not sure whether it is an issue from then or an evolving issue.

Would be interested in your situation and whether cholesteatoma was in opposite ear of AN.
March 2011 - Sudden severe loss of hearing in right ear. 
April 2011 -  Diagnosed with 1.1cm x 0.7cm AN
June 2011 - CyberKnife procedure (3 doses) in South San Francisco Kaiser
January 2019 - AN has regressed in size by half

glewis

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 01:05:06 pm »
Just seeing this (4 years later). Cholesteatoma was same side as AN.

Anabchavez50

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 10:46:35 pm »
Hi there,  i just joined this forum hoping someone can help me with my recent Dx. I had an MRI ordered by an ENT dr. The result was Cerebellopointe angle of 3cm. I don't really k new much of what it is until i started researching and after ENT Dr. Explained.  I am afraid and i would like any advise if somebody it's familiar with it.  Tks.

ANSydney

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 04:21:44 pm »
Anabchavez50, welcome to the club. My first piece of advice is to get you MRI on CD and take a look.

alabamajane

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 05:41:34 pm »
Welcome Anabchavez50,,

It is a very scary diagnosis for sure but there is a lot of information on the home page of the ANA. I encourage you to visit there ( ANAUSA.ORG) and there is an info packet you can get sent to you also,, it is all VERY helpful.

I would also encourage you to start a new thread of your own as this one is pretty old. You will most probably get more advice from folks if the thread is about a " newbie " looking for advice. Some folks may not read this thread if not interested in the topic.  Just my thoughts ,,

Relax and research on here through the various topics and I'm sure a lot of your questions will be answered,,  we are all here to help. Then speak to your doctor about the next step for your situation. You have a fairly large tumor already and the symptoms you are experiencing and the location of the tumor will dictate your choices.
Let us know how we can help,,,,
Peace,,
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

ANSydney

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 07:40:19 pm »
Anabchavez50, I forget to to ask. What are your symptoms and how long have you had them?