Author Topic: Put me at ease please (12/7 graft)  (Read 5085 times)

Suu

• Better out than in.
Put me at ease please (12/7 graft)
« on: February 05, 2012, 11:14:01 pm »
Hello my wonderous mates.

I have more questions now that I'm 3 days away from having the 12/7 graft done (called Hypoglossal-facial nerve interpositional-jump graft from what I could decypher on the hospital form  :P). My doctor answered so may questions the other day and yet I still find more.  I guess it's nervousness.
He said that he'll be doing the surgery in front of my ear this time and it will go down just under my jawline.

Straight after it's done will I be able to eat and talk?

That's it. I shouldn't be worried about either as I need to lose a few kilos and hubby would probably love the silence  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers, Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

alabamajane

Re: Put me at ease please (12/7 graft)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 09:10:09 am »
Good morning Suu,
I had this surgery done about 13 weeks ago today after translab surgery the Thurs. before. I do have an incision in front of my ear that extended down my throat past my jawline a few inches. It has healed well and is hardly noticeable now.. of course my hair is almost shoulder length and  so that helps hide incision..

It has not hindered my ability to talk,, much to husband's chagrin.. :),, however, it has changed my eating/chewing ability..   but on the up side,, I have lost almost 20 lbs since surgery.. as with everyone's experiences,, you may not experience all of this..... my tongue does not "work" the same,, I was told this of course.. I only chew on one side and swallow on that side.. I eat MUCH more slowly than I did and only half as much. I have to chew small amounts and chew it up very well as not to choke when swallowing. I did have some swallowing issues before surgery though,, so may not happen to all the same way.. Have alot of soup handy as that is all I could eat for several weeks,, that and frozen yougart or ice cream. You probably won't want to chew anything for awhile.. It is not only awkward to do, it hurts at first.  I still don't eat much meat that you have to chew,, lots of fish and some ground beef... you NEED to eat though  for strength,, you will find some things that you can maneuver in your mouth though....

The side of my face is numb all the way back to and including ear as I had the translab surgery.. I am getting feeling and SOME movement in face already.  Sometimes when I have talked alot, my face will feel tired and sore, and I really think I have more pain, although not really severe,, with the graft surgery than the AN surgery.. not to scare you in any way, just the truth.
Like I said, all these things may not happen for you,, this is just what I have gone through. I also have a weight in my eyelid and so my eyes don't focus really well yet,, but getting better also.
Hope this helps, don't be too overly concerned with this surgery.. not at all as bad as the AN surgery. I had mine done before I left hospital,, so not much time to "think" about it.... Good luck ,, you will do fine afterward.. it just takes some getting used to having only one side of tongue working.. We will be thinking of you and wish you well.. Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 11:11:10 pm »
Thankyou Jane.
I'm already pretty numb on that side and haven't chewed on the left side since the blighter was taken out 16 months ago..
The scared feelings are starting but that's normal for me so I'm using deep breaths whenever I get anxious or start feeling down about it.
I look at some of the signatures of the members and feel that if they can go through so much then so can I.
Hugs,
Suu xxoo
Facial nerve not working
SSD left side
Sling Thur 16 June '11

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 01:19:26 am »
HI again,

I got the quote from the doctor and on it he's written Facio-hypoglossal nerve or facio-accessory nerve, anast
The first bit I understand to be the 12/7 nerve jump graft but I've tried to search for the facio-accessory nerve part and can't seem to find anything that describes what it actually is.  The surgery was closed by the time I got the quote so can't ring them about it and I know the doc is in theatre all day tomorrow.
Can someone enlighten me please?

Sorry to be a worrier.

Suu xxoo
Facial nerve not working
SSD left side
Sling Thur 16 June '11

MNTim

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 10:46:40 pm »
Suu,

I had the same procedure a year ago.  My initial experience involved a lot of weakness on the surgical side, food pocketing is a big issue.  Like Jane said it is a great weight loss surgery.  I lost over 20 pounds after the surgery because eating was such a chore.  My tongue has normal function. My mouth has resting symmetry and can get some upturn of my mouth when I smile with my tongue placed correctly in the roof of my mouth.  Facial therapy has been very helpful.  The difference between my condition today and a year ago is dramatic.  Overall I am satisfied with the outcome.

Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 11:34:24 pm »
Thanks Tim. I just got the phone call with admission time of midday tomorrow and the nerves have grabbed me.
Losing 20 pounds will be ringing my head to keep me strong :)
Lovenhugs to everyone
Suu xxoo
Facial nerve not working
SSD left side
Sling Thur 16 June '11

alabamajane

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 09:38:11 am »
Good luck with your surgery! I know you will do well and hopefully in several months, be much better. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 09:54:12 am »
We are all thinking of you today. Please keep us posted on how your doing. Hugs
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012