Author Topic: Vertigo is getting annoying....  (Read 3522 times)

MBrennan

Vertigo is getting annoying....
« on: November 29, 2011, 03:30:18 pm »
Can anyone suggest something to help curb vertigo as a stop gap until I have surgery?  Thanks!

Chances3

Re: Vertigo is getting annoying....
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 12:09:59 pm »
Hi MBrennan,

Welcome to ANA.  You didn't describe how severe your vertigo is.  Do you just feel a little dizzy or full spins.  In 2010 I began to have full spins, they lasted 2-3 minutes, it made me sick for days.  The frequency was every 5-8 days.  It wasn't until they found the little buggar and removed it that vertigo stopped, but that took another year after my operation. 

I would try to go on a diuretic to get as much fluid out of your inner ears as possible.  I was prescribed Meclizine - it does work, but I had complications with it.  Xanax worked for me, but it is more of a neuro inhibitor.  I have heard Zofran works as well.  Shop around for any kind of an antivert medication and find one that works for you.

I hope that helps.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 12:26:03 pm »
MBrennan,

I do hope you find relief from the vertigo. It's such an awful feeling. I used to get it every time I stood up. Then after I was diagnosed I learned to stand up much more slowly. That seemed to help me.

Syl 
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Ellenmn

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 08:17:56 am »
Boy it's been awhile for me, but I sure remember that horrible feeling. I too learned to stand slowly and when getting out of bed I would sit on the side of the bed for a few minutes before standing up. They gave me a prescription to take but I don't remember what it was.
It didn't get rid of it all together but at least they weren't as bad and they were less often.