Author Topic: Stye in the eye  (Read 2903 times)

rvb755

Stye in the eye
« on: October 18, 2011, 03:44:15 pm »
I went to the Prime Care at my local hospital this morning because of very tender eyes the last couple days.  This morning the eyelids started to look puffy so I decided to get it checked out.  They told me it is a stye, which is a type of infection and blocked tear duct.  They gave me drops to use the next 5 days and told me I could use a warm compress also.  I am about 8 weeks post surgery and I had been rubbing my eyes a lot which may have helped cause the stye.  Is this a common problem others have had?  It shouldn't cause any damage but is very annoying and uncomfortable.  Will I continue to have problems with the tear duct long term or will that fade with time?  I have numbness on the AN side but my facial nerve is functioning.

Thanks,
Rick
3.2cm x 5.0cm x 3.3cm Left side AN
Translab with Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz at HEI
on 8/24/2011
100% tumor removal, no facial nerve damage, SSD

JAndrews

Re: Stye in the eye
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 06:29:24 pm »
I had the same problem with a stye. I started using wetting drops (refresh) twice a day for a few months. Your eye is supposed to be dry after surgery--sometimes a few months, sometimes lasts a few years for some. Even if it doesn't feel dry to you--it probably is. Give it a try and you may find yourself rubbing your eye less. A stye is usually caused by bacteria. If your rubbing your eye alot and not washing your hands every single time before you rub, you will get a stye.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Stye in the eye
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 02:06:12 pm »
I've had styes both before and after my surgery - they are totally unrelated to ANs.

To clear mine up I just use OTC medication I purchase at my local drugstore.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways