Author Topic: Out of work timeframe ??  (Read 9920 times)

Pattilouwho

Out of work timeframe ??
« on: October 17, 2011, 08:06:48 am »
I was wondering if anyone could give me information about how much time they missed from work. I am scheduled for surgery @ MEEI 1/31/2012. I work for the government, so once my sick leave and annual leave are gone it's LWOP (Leave w/o Pay)....This scares me more than having the surgery. I know, I know, the most important thing is MY health, but I also have other factors to consider as well. I also know it's different for every person, but I just wanted to get a rough idea, are we talking weeks, months or even a year or two ???  I'm hoping weeks!!  2cm left side. Mckenna/Barker scheduled.

Thank you for reading and sharing  ^-^
Surgery scheduled for 2/10/2012 - McKenna/Barker @ Mass General
 2 cm left side / 90% of hearing gone / balance isn't too bad, worse in the morning!!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Out of work timeframe ??
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 08:27:43 am »
Hi Patti

I am currently on LWOP (I work in support of the USAF) and can understand the worries.... I am out right now for other reasons (non-AN related).

I had the chance to meet up with many of the local Boston/NE gang yesterday and many that had their surgeries at MEEI/MGH.  Please look for kbonner (Katie) and SML (Scarlett) here on the forums as well as jcinma (Jane), Crazycat (Paul) and StoneAxe (Bob) as they all had their surgeries at MGH/MEEI and can best relate to the Barker/McKenna team (FAB team) as well as their recuperation time.

Please keep in mind that "individual results may vary" and everyone's recuperation will differ, but they should be able to share (as well as others here) as to what the dr's told them would be approx time for recuperation, esp for those treated at MGH/MEEI.

Just my 2 cents.
Phyl

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

VTSurvivor

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 09:15:00 am »
Hi Patti, I am also a state employee and understand the LWOP scene as well. I started back part time after 5 weeks, and was full time by 6 weeks. Then again I am very stubborn! I probably should have taken at least 6 weeks. Be aware though you will have several other followup appointments after your initial surgery. You may also have other surgery, depending if there are any issues such as eye lid closure issues, sinus issues, etc. Not trying to scare you but I wish I had been aware of more of what was going to happen after the surgery than I was. Feel free to contact me if you have more questions or concerns.
4.0 cm Translab AN removal 3/2004 
12-7 anastomisis 2005
Gold Weight,
MHMH, West Lebanon, NH
Friedman and Johnson

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 09:36:48 am »
Hi Patti & Welcome!
As others have said, everybody is different but I think that where there is a will there is a way! I was young, newly married & HAD to return to work ASAP. I had MANY complications (including a stroke that left me unable to write or talk correctly) after a very large tumor. However, I returned to work after only 3 months - it was not pretty & I came home and went straight to bed (for the night). I taught 1st grade so very demanding, on your feet type of work!  Hindsight, I should have taken more time but I really didn't have a choice. Others go back MUCH  SOONER!!

Good luck!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Chances3

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 02:21:56 pm »
Hi Patti,

Personally, I think that is a diffcult question.  The paper work from my consultation had 6-8 weeks.  The paper work after surgery said " older patients can take up to 6 months ".  I think there are a lot of variables that will determine your ability to return back to work.  I do believe age does have a factor, I think older people take longer.  Many members on the site have said that those with larger tumors have had better recoveries due to the brain already making the adjustment for balance from the one side.  When I did return to work, I found that my body still didn't have the strength, but you can compensate that with extra sleep at night and rest on weekends.  Even though I'm still a Newbie here, I would venture to say most AN friends here would say, each person is different.  So if I may, don't worry about it, get well first. 

God Bless.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 03:44:13 pm »
Hi, Patti ~

I didn't intend to post on this thread because I was recently retired at the time of my AN diagnosis and treatment (retrosigmoid surgery, FSR) but the mention of age (by Chances3) affecting recovery gave me the impetus to post a minor observation.

I was 63 (and in otherwise good health) at the time of my AN diagnosis.  I was found to have a 4.5 cm tumor pressing hard on my brain stem.  Surgery was the only option and the sooner the better.  Because my neurosurgeon wanted to give me the best chance of preserving facial function he choose to debulk my large AN, then radiate the remainder.  Long story short; I emerged from the surgery with no facial immobility, headaches or other problems.  I was discharged within 5 days of my hospital admittance, driving within two weeks and virtually back to normal within a few months.  The follow-up radiation, 3 months later, was effective (the remaining AN 'died') but otherwise uneventful and presented no problems for me.  I admit that I consider myself blessed.  However, except for a reduction in my overall stamina (at least partially attributable to my age, I'm certain) I feel that my age - never mentioned by my neurosurgeon as a factor - did not substantially affect my recovery.  Of course, I could be wrong or perhaps just incredibly lucky.  So, while age may be a factor in recovering from AN treatment, I don't believe it necessary indicates a long and/or arduous recovery.  I certainly hope your recovery is a rapid as mine.  However, I would advise using six weeks off from work as your baseline.  If you can return sooner, fine.  Better to be cautious on setting expectations for returning to work. 

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

rvb755

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 06:31:18 pm »
Hi Patti, my doctors told me 4-6 weeks off work, with planning on 4 as a minimum.  My surgery went really well and since my tumor was large I had probably compensated already prior to the surgery as far as balance was concerned.  I ended up going back to work 4 weeks to the day after surgery.  I have a desk job as an engineer so it is not usually physically demanding which helps a lot.  I still feel tired now in the afternoons and this Wednesday will be 8 weeks post surgery.  I really think it would have been difficult for me to be back at work in 2 weeks after surgery.  My neck was quite stiff and I didn't have a lot of energy at the 2 week point.  As I'm sure you have read each persons recovery is unique so I am just trying to share my personal experience.  Best of luck with your upcoming surgery.

Rick
3.2cm x 5.0cm x 3.3cm Left side AN
Translab with Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz at HEI
on 8/24/2011
100% tumor removal, no facial nerve damage, SSD

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 08:59:03 pm »
I was out 2 months...but should have gone 3.  And my recovery was pretty uneventful...so it just all depends on the work and your recovery! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Lynn Mc

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 09:51:25 am »
Patti,

I had the Mckenna/Barker team also.  I was out of work for 3 months, could have gone back sooner but I have a rather strenuous job.  I had no major issues after surgery with fatigue being my big complaint.  I have a hard time remembering I am not 25 anymore!!!  I just took it slow when I went back to work, did what I could & the rest had to wait.  I just had to listen to my body & not the stubborn side of me.  Good luck with your upcoming surgery. 
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

Chances3

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 12:54:07 pm »
All you people are lucky, I hard a really difficult time going back to work well after 6 months.  In fact, I had to apply for disability while I was out.  I'm at work, but it's a struggle, and I'm approaching 1 year.  Jim, it sounds like you are very lucky, I had a small tumor, and I'm still fighting for a  recovery.  The question about age came from all the post op material I received from the hospital, I hope I didn't misinform anyone.

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 05:20:06 pm »
I was out for 6 weeks and returned to work part time for two weeks.  The doctor made sure to put I could work up to only 4 hours a day when I returned, this way, it allowed me to leave after an hour or two if I was exhausted.  Like most posts, the exhaustion is the worst part of the whole thing.  I did suffer from headaches and a stiff neck at first too.
I went to Disneyworld for 7 days after the 2 weeks part time and then returned full time.  It was some very long days, I'd come home and sleep like everyday.  I was 41 and in good health when I had my surgery.  My balance was already gone before surgery and I think that helped with my recovery, I already had made up for it.
You may have PT appt's. ENT appt's, and Neuro. appt's after the surgery.  That took more time away from work for me and my husband.  I wasn't allowed to drive until I was completely ready.
Hopefully work will be understanding of all these appt's and if you return part time, you can make the appt's when you get off work.
Good luck and it all will work out.  I was really worried about it at first too.  I luckily had FMLA and disability with AFLAC that helped a little.
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 04:14:19 am »
I was off work for about 3 1/2 months post-op, my tumor was large and I lost hearing/balance/facial functioning etc., I am a nurse and although I did return after 3 1/2 months it was rather rough going for a few months.......just to give you an idea but of course, as earlier said, "individual results may vary"!
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 03:57:55 pm »
Hi Patti VT,
    Had to take a double take at your post and make sure it was not mine, I'm Patti UT.   :o    After re growth and surgery #2, I never was able to get back to work.  Can't concentrate, too much concrete in my head. lol  Most people do get bck to work though.  I did after several months after my first An surgery.
  Best to you.

patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Pattilouwho

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 01:52:41 pm »
Thank you ALL, for your ernest answers. I'm sorry it was such a difficult questions to answer, I'm just trying to be optimistic that I'm not going to miss so much time that I go into a LWOP (Leave W/O Pay) status....One of the good things about working for the Government is people can donate annual leave to others in need. Every year end, (like now), there are alot of Gov. employees who have so much annual leave saved but are not able to use it (for whatever reason)t, so they donate it to others...it's either "use it, or lose it" so they donate the extra hours to others in need. There are a lot of people in need of annual leave, but there are also a lot of very generous people out there that help out. 2 years ago, my sisters 21 year old son was diagnoised with bone cancer and the closest hospital that deals with that type of sarcoma, is Mass General. She being a single mom, would travel back and forth for him to get his treatments. He has a major surgery 6 days before Christmas so I used a lot of leave to be with her. I also donated a lot of my leave to her because she is also a Fed. employee. I had the hours, she needed them, so I donated...gladly..but I had no way of seeing my own future and the need for annual leave, not that I'd do it any differently, I wouldn't.....she was desperate and needed the time, and I was more than happy to help her out - it was her son and he needed her and she needed to be with him, so - thus is the reason for my questions regarding "out of work time"........You're right, my health is more important than anything, but still, it's hard to think of putting my family in financial need if I have to be out for a long period of time without gettin paid...Unfortunately, the Gov. does not have "short term disability" for it's employees.....
Thanks again for all of you who took the time to respond ; )  Geatly appreciated !!
Surgery scheduled for 2/10/2012 - McKenna/Barker @ Mass General
 2 cm left side / 90% of hearing gone / balance isn't too bad, worse in the morning!!

mojwri54

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 04:22:53 pm »
I also a goverment worker and this over 3 years ago was my operation.  I was out over 3 months used all of my leave plus one week of the leave bank.  My tumor was very large and pressing on the brain stem.  I lost alot of facial movement, my hearing and sight on the right side.  I was in a rehab for almost a month.  Had a stomach tube for 2 months and was on baby and puree food for 9 months.  Just this August had a week off for cyberknife because the smart part he left in started to grow back and can't wait to Feb to see what cyberknife is doing.  I will say I was glad to get back after over 3 months but was very tiring and still is.  Some is my age 57 and my hours, I get up around 4 AM, meet my vanpool at 5 work 9 hours get back home around 5 when I do not have PT then it is 7.  So by end of week I am dead tired.  But glad I am still kicking and able to work, I love my work and what I am doing.  Good Luck.