Author Topic: 10 months post surgery - sudden hearing loss/tinnitus - Anyone else??  (Read 3935 times)

HJY

Hi all,

I'm nearly 10 months post mid fossa.  After surgery I had excellent hearing - mostly hearing at 25dB for lower frequencies and only the upper frequencies significantly affected.  Ive had an increase in tinnitus and that 'full' feeling in my ear for the last few months.  Also i noticed I was struggling to hear my kids on my AN side and also if I had my 'good' ear on the pillow I was blissfully ignoring my husband who was talking right next to me!  Didn't even hear him!  I had a hearing test yesterday and was shocked that I'm now hearing most of the lower frequencies at 40dB and the higher ones at 80-90dB!!

I'm feeling quite concerned that this could be regrowth or scar tissue.  Have any of you have had anything like this happen?  Can the hearing decline actually just be a part of what happens post surgically for some people?  I dimly remember reading that some people do get a decline even though hearing is initially preserved.

I have a left sided facial palsy as well - but that's a wwhooooole other story!

Any input would be SO appreciated!

Take care, Heather
1.4cm L sided AN removed 6th Dec, 2010 (7 weeks after my 3rd baby was born!)
Surgeons - Proff Marcus Atlas & Dr George Wong, Ear Science Institute, Perth Western Australia
Mid Fossa,Hearing preserved,HB level 6 facial palsy Balance
issues
1st Oct, 2011 - Facial recovery HB 2-3, sudden HL of 30dB

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: 10 months post surgery - sudden hearing loss/tinnitus - Anyone else??
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 07:58:49 pm »
Heather -

I didn't experience this.  I had retrosigmoid and came out of surgery SSD. 

I'm not a doctor, but I'm wondering when you had your last MRI.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

HJY

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 08:37:13 am »
Hi Jan! I had an MRI at about 6 mths post. Alrhough there were lots of scary looking reactive buts they assured me it was exactly what they'd expect post surgery. The Radiological report indicated the same too. They seemed to have no explanation for the decline.

Thanks for answering!
Heather
Surgeons - Proff Marcus Atlas & Dr George Wong, Ear Science Institute, Perth Western Australia
issues

HJY

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 05:42:14 pm »
um....that would be 'reactive bits' as opposed to 'reactive buts'!!!
issues

HJY

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 07:18:59 am »
Hi! I thought I'd post an update in case others go through this....MRI shows nothing - which is good! But the surgeon doesn't know what is wrong, and therefore has nothing to offer. He's put me on steroids hoping the hearing will come back - if that doesn't work he's suggested a hearing aide.

Feeling pretty low :(

Take care all,
Heather
issues

jockieau

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 08:12:57 pm »
Hi Heather

We spoke a while back just after your op - sorry to hear about your hearing.  Just a note of support really, to say all the best and that I hope the steroids do the trick.

Fingers crossed for you!
Jockieau