Author Topic: Dr. Izukawa/Dr. Chen -- thoughts on this team?  (Read 8192 times)

SonDek

Dr. Izukawa/Dr. Chen -- thoughts on this team?
« on: September 30, 2011, 09:10:36 pm »
Hi all -- I did a search but haven't found much on either of these two.
I'm wondering if anyone has had this team perform their surgery?

I'm writing on behalf of my mother who has been recently diagnosed with a fairly large (around 3cm) AN and is trying to decide on a course of action.  She is 65 years old.

I have a lot of questions but I thought I'd start with seeing if anyone has had experience with this team.

Thanks!!
My mom was diagnosed with a 3cm by 3cm by 3cm  AN September 2011.  Translab surgery with Dr. Izukawa and Dr. Chen on October 14th 2011.  Facial nerve saved but thinned.  Gold weight.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Dr. Izukawa/Dr. Chen -- thoughts on this team?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 06:37:06 am »
Where is this team located?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 07:16:55 am »
Hi SonDek .....

Glad you posted your question.  I have not heard of this team, but perhaps others have.

With a fairly large acoustic neuroma, you want the most experienced team you can find to remove it.  If you are in the US, there are many good surgeons/teams around the country.  There are several groups who will do free consultations if you send the MRI and audiogram to them for additional opinions, as well.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

mk

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 12:21:16 pm »
If I am not mistaken you are referring to the team located in the Toronto/Mississauga area. Dr. Chen is one of the most experienced neurotologists (based in Sunnybrook). I haven't heard of anyone on this, or the Canadian forum who had surgery with Dr. Izukawa, but I am pretty sure that another forumite, opp2 had consulted with him.

Most people in the Toronto area end up either at Sunnybrook or Toronto Western.  There is also a very experienced surgeon at St. Michaels. I don't know what is the urgency of your mom's situation, but if her condition is not urgent the best course of action is to see as many doctors as possible. Do you live in Toronto?

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

SonDek

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 05:38:58 pm »
Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I know Dr. Chen is quite well known, but I haven't heard anyone's thoughts on Izukawa, or their performance as a team.

And yes, we are in the Toronto area, but technically Mississauga, so the hospital we went to is Trillium, and that is where Izukawa is based, so the surgery would be performed there and Dr. Chen would come there.

My mom was diagnosed with a 3cm by 3cm by 3cm  AN September 2011.  Translab surgery with Dr. Izukawa and Dr. Chen on October 14th 2011.  Facial nerve saved but thinned.  Gold weight.

opp2

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 08:51:23 pm »
I did consult with Dr Izukawa and Chen, DR I being the first neuro surgeon I consulted with. This can be a long dragged out process. See my PM response to yours. I would agree with the others on the forum who have suggested that your Mom's high blood pressure be treated first. Most AN are not life threatening at this size. When they get about another cm larger, then you're in big trouble zone.

There are many discrepancies in the measurement of size, as the doctors don't all measure the same slide, and the MRI takes so many slices. If Mom's high blood pressure is not directly correlated to the AN then I believe you have time. You are allowed to consult with many surgeons, and I urge you to do just that. AND I urge you to ask Dr's C and I all the same questions.

ie What are the odds of facial paralysis, what technique will you be using, how many of these surgeries have you done this year, this decade...how often do you operate with DR. C or I, who does what? It's such a hard journey, I couldn't imagine just starting out at 65. I have missed the Local AN support group meeting again ( I suck) but they have meetings by monthly at 271 Spadina St in Toronto.  It might be good for you and Mom to go.

Check out the ANAC site. There is information for you there.

Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

SonDek

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 01:37:13 pm »
Hi all!  My mom is 4 days post-op and arrived home today.
Recovery is going well, and I know it is still a long road ahead.
Big thanks to Dr. Chen and especially Dr. Izukawa.

Rob Lander

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 06:29:38 am »
Dr. Izukawa worked on my back in 2001,  with Dr. White  after 18 years of back pain, from the second I opened my eyes after surgery  I've had  zero back pain,  he's  the  best