Author Topic: Memory loss post surgery  (Read 64512 times)

It is what it is

Re: Memory loss post surgery
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 07:54:31 pm »
Hi to all,  It is always comforting to hear others are also having similar problems.  I now more frequently have word finding problems and problems remembering names.  This happens more often at the end of my work day when my brain is tired.  I was hoping this would improve over time. 

karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Mei Mei

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 09:48:43 pm »
I just found this site on Google and there is a lot on there about Memory Loss and anesthesia:
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400593/Forgetful-After-Surgery.html

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

rjbarker

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 10:24:24 am »
Hi,
We investigated and had some thoughts about AN and postop memory loss in our ANA/NJ newsletters for Sept 2007 and Apr 2008, on line at www.ananj.org. We found little research on the subject.
d*** Barker

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 01:10:15 pm »
Hi Friends:

Count me in on the memory-loss and of all the problems that go with the AN issue; this is one of the most frustrating that can be very embarrassing.  I've become somewhat of a hermit.

Pal
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Rick Everingham

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 09:20:31 am »
I have also issues with this and I also will "forget" the next word in a sentence.  I can be talking and I can visualize the next word but it won't come out, it's like it is one part of my brain but I can't verbalize it.  Very , very frustrating.
1.5x1x1.2cm AN surgically removed by Tans Lab Jul 30, 2003, McGuire VA Hospital in Richmond, VA.

kaylene

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 06:16:35 pm »
I got on the forum today to ask this very question. I am 13 months post op and am traveling very well.  I don't have to many issues at all. Just tired a lot. And my memory is getting worse and worse as time goes on. So from what I have read on this thread, I am probably doing too much and getting way to tired causing my memory lose to increase.  It's going to be a battle with five kids and my support network thinning I am going to have to push on and do the best that I can.

So glad this forum is here.

Kay
30mm AN removed March 2012
In Melbourne Australia.
I now have SSD (RS) and tinnitus.
Good recovery, not to many issues.

karascott

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2013, 02:42:28 pm »
Count me in. I am now five months  out and I think I am going  crazy. I cannot remember movies I've seen before. I having a hard time finding words or remembering appointments. My family says I have said things I don't remember saying. I don't remember where I put things or I leave out things like the milk. The other day I left the spoon in the Mayonnaise. I am trying to laugh my way through it.  ;D
Kara Scott
1.1 cm x 1.7 cm
Diagnosed 8-07-12 at 5:00 pm
Retrosigmoid 1/10/2013 House Clinic
Dr. Slattery and Dr. Schwartz

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2013, 02:55:22 am »
yup, memory loss........ what I was going to say here?  ;D  lol
I have it, I find I have to keep a list for shopping and these type of things, however in other area's I haven't any problem (at work for example I don't have an issue, can remember patient's from years ago that others cannot)
It's been a problem since the initial surgery in 1990, not getting worse not getting better
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 11:57:53 am by Kathleen_Mc »
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

prisca

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2013, 06:53:29 am »
I have some brain damage from a car accident many years ago.  The very best thing for me is sleep.  My memory and word retrieval are much worse when I am tired.  I'm at my best with 12 hours, but can't get that on a work day, but the best I've ever felt since the accident was during hurricane Sandy when I had no electricity for a week and just went to bed when it got dark and didn't have to get up to go to work.  It may not be possible to get as much sleep as you need, but try to get as much as you can.

Imcamodchick88

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2013, 11:45:11 pm »
I have been having the same issues. I had a professor/mentor tell me the same thing about the "brain injury." He actually equated my level to that of after a stroke, only without the speaking issue (although I evidently do stumble over my words.) I honestly hadn't even noticed it until my teacher suggested it as a reason for my low test grades, which were A's and B's before my surgery. Then I realized I couldn't remember the day before, let alone my previous semester or classes. Now I have trouble remembering things a week later unless I do it day in and day out.

Anywho, I have focused my attentions by writing notes, very detailed, and by using "cozi" online to keep track of dates. It also helps because other people can log in to the account and put in dates so I don't forget to do it, and my boyfriend can put things on our shopping list, etc. there are also post it notes everywhere in my apartment. And the dashboard of my car.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone in my erratic behavior, and not losing my mind at 22.
Kristin
2.8-cm AN removed by translab on 12/23/11 at UTSW
Dr. Issacson and Dr. Mickey

Gloria Nailor

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 12:09:02 pm »
I am very fortunate that I do not have issues with memory after my surgery.  But several years before I did and it ended up being related to a medication I was on. I am not sure if you are taking any meds, but if you are it might be a side effect of the med, just a thought.
4/2011 diagnosed with 3 cm AN on right side
6/15/2011 retrosigmoid craniotomy which resulted in SSD, severe facial paralysis
7/2011 gold weight placed right eye lid
5/2012 tarsorrpapny right eye
6/2012 woke up with a smile
1/2013 cranioplasty because a screw came out of my head!
6-7/13 regrowth, GK

Miskra

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 10:34:33 am »
Hi ,I too have short term memory loss,very tired,facial numbness and balance issues.I am scheduled for my third surgery in December and feeling overwhelmed with all the up coming appointments!I pray daily and hope for the best,this will be my third 12 hour surgery:(

MG

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2014, 01:06:03 pm »
Hi Everyone,
I too have problems with memory and I am on W&W. I have felt so tired out since I discovered that I had the AN. It's been a year and as time goes on my thinking process is not as good as it once was. I have to get at least 8 hours of sleep or I can't think straight. Maybe you all need to slow down if you are able to and get more rest. I wish the best for you all.

Take care, MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.
Diagnosed w/ AN tumor Aug 2013  9x5x6mm
 2016  1.3 CM Touching Brain Stem 
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016

oak1971

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2015, 10:25:55 pm »
1 month post diagnosis. On the schedule for surgery but no firm date yet. My memory is at once horrible and incredible. Lose keys, glasses etc. Have a hard time remembering things I was just told or events that recently occurred. I can remember some things that seem to stick, but the only common thread is If they interest me or not. Mental multitasking isn't a good as it should be either. Can remember song lyrics from decades ago or specifications and stats for innumerable things that don't help me in day to day life. I can't imagine it being any worse after surgery, but if it is I probably won't remember it anyway. lol
Diagnosed left side AN 5/27/15

ColleenS

• I have learned to watch birds and smell the roses.
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2017, 10:39:25 am »
Hello everyone, boy this thread has been really helpful to me. I am 6 weeks out of my AN Translab surgery and 3 weeks out of my second CFL surgery (went through AN incision). I am experiencing a lot of cognitive issues and was worried this may be permanent. I had 2 additional surgeries so I  ended up with a total of 26 hours of anesthesia, still on steroids and still dealing with swelling issues from the CFL surgery. So... I had hoped much of this is due to all of that - plus my tumor was compressing my brain stem (moved it some too) - and that latter detail is what made me worry it may be permanent. This thread helped me...
5/2/17 @ Vanderbilt Translab approach with Drs. Haynes & Chambless
Readmitted on 5/7/17 for CFL, lumbar drain; CFL repair surgery
10/18 5 Radiation treatments for tumor regrowth
3/19 Pain, swelling, facial paralysis
5/19 Facial paralysis, numbness
10/21 Mild facial paralysis still