Author Topic: Issue 119 Sept. 2011 AN assoc. Notes  (Read 11519 times)

Mickey

Re: Issue 119 Sept. 2011 AN assoc. Notes
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 07:35:05 am »
I get to go for my yearly visit to Dr. Roland in Oct. and he usually fills me up on whats the latest. Those drugs you mentioned may have been what they were refering to plus others...Mickey

G_Man

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 08:31:07 pm »
Is it Avastin or Lapatinib ?
The drug in the study is  Lapatinib.  This is exciting news for someone like myself with a small tumor that seems to be stable.  I guess we still have to find out what the side effects of  Lapatinib are.  Not to mention how helpful it actually is.  I think this could be a real game changer that would kind of divide the AN patients into 2 groups with radically different treatment approachs (or maybe that's 3 or 4 groups depending on how you count.)  I tried to find the article online but couldn't.  It makes me think, "Woudn't it be great if they found a cure for this in the next 10 or 20 years so many of us could be around to see the kids benefit 100%"
Glen

Diag: 08/11/2009 Left side
AN: 0.6cm.  65% Hearing loss, tinnitus, fullness, minor motion issues.
hearing loss over 25+ years.  MRI in 2000 showed nothing.
Optical Atrophy from infantcy
Watch and Wait.
As of 2017 I am on a 2 year MRI frequency.

Mickey

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 08:44:21 am »
Way to go G-Man! Its great to see the advancements made to all aspects of treatments for AN`s. I have to say that to take a pill which would make it go away would probably be first and formost with many people...Best wishes, Mickey

ANSydney

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2016, 07:45:35 pm »
The topic of this thread is interesting, although there have been no entries for a while. The paper that this thread refers to is uncertain. However, it appears to be "The Natural History of Vestibular Schwannoma" published in 2006. ( http://acusticusneurinom.dk/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/natural-history-of-vs.pdf )  In any case, it covers the same sort of material.

The paper mentioned here covers the Danish findings with 552 patients followed. Yes, the main finding is that, "Regardless of tumor localization or size, growth occurs only within the first 5 years after a diagnosis".

Of interest is that the authors state "all previous studies on VS growth have been subject to considerable referral bias and additional patient selection bias" and that in the paper's case, "The data are without patient referral bias".

For extrameatal tumors, a change of more than 2 mm was defined as growth or shrinkage. With this criteria, for extrameatal tumors, 0.9% decreased in size, 70.2% remained unchanged and 28.9% increased in diameter.

Another interesting aspect is that of those 28.9% of extrameatal tumors that did grow, 62% happened in the first year, 26% in the second, 10% in the third and 2% in the forth year following diagnosis. None grew in the fifth year onwards! The main annual growth rate was 10.32 mm in the first year, 3.83 mm in the second, 2.17 in the third and 0.92 mm in the fourth year. Of course, before diagnosis the tumor grew sufficiently to create symptoms.

It's a fascinating paper.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 07:48:07 pm by ANSydney »