Author Topic: Patrick - 3 years  (Read 2547 times)

texsooner

Patrick - 3 years
« on: September 03, 2011, 12:12:25 pm »
Just wanted to post a positive message for any newbies out there and old forum friends. I believe that most outcomes these days for AN treatments are positive, but may not be represented proportionally that way as we read stuff all over the internet. I'm very grateful for my outcome, and also for this forum and the great forum-ites for sharing their real life challenges that have helped so many people to get informed by folks that have been there.   

This past Aug 11 marked 3 years since my AN surgery. I had my annual MRI and met with my neurotologist, Dr. Joseph Chang here in Houston. He tested hearing (on good side), overall balance and facial movements. He said I checked out great. Still have only slight facial weakness on AN side, but only noticeable if you're looking hard for it. He said the MRI indicated what appeared to be scar tissue around the surgery site, but can't be 100% sure, so it needs to be monitored just in case...so have to do another MRI next year. Just for reference, I'm a proud 51 year old husband and father of 2 university students.

I'm trying to live life to it's fullest. I just completed the Hotter 'n Hell 100 bike ride in Wichita Falls, TX last weekend. I've done lots of bike rides, half marathons, marathon, etc, but I'd have to say the last half of that ride was probably the toughest thing physically I've ever done. The heat here in Texas has been brutal this summer. The ride was 102 miles and the temp was 110 when I finished. I'm now going to hang up the bike for the fall/winter and start training for the Houston Marathon.....looking forward to cooler temps.

Ok...now back to college football. See y'all.

Patrick   

3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Patrick - 3 years
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 12:25:40 pm »
Patrick ~

As what I hope you consider an 'old forum friend' I want to offer you my congratulations on your 3-year milestone and my appreciation for your personal achievements (biking/marathons) and your diligence in posting your positive updates here on the ANA discussion forums.  I wish you continued success in your physical endeavors and in your life as a husband and father.  You've set a good example of not allowing your AN patient status to define you in any way.  Well done, my friend.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 01:10:34 pm »
Congratulations on the 3 year milestone, Patrick  ;D

IMO you've had a wonderful outcome.  You amaze me with all the bike rides, half marathons, and marathons.  Hell, I haven't done anything even remotely like that - either before my surgery or post op.  In my eyes, you are the perfect example of a forumite living his life to the fullest. 

Keep up the good work!

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mei Mei

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 03:29:07 pm »
Dear Patrick,

You are incredible and a fantastic example of a great recovery.    I've never been able to do a marathon especially in the Texas heat.

Congratulations on your successes as a patient, husband and father!
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

kraynok2

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 06:10:36 pm »
Congratulations on the 3 years!  I will be 1 year in November.  You have done so exceptionally well and set a great example.  Keep posting all this positiveness for newbies.  I know when I first started reading all the posts, they were a great help!
Sandy

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 08:31:10 pm »
Happy ANniversary, my friend!  You were one of the first friends I met on this forum and extended me a lifeline. You will always be in my heart and continue to be an inspiration to me.  Keep on living life large! 

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Keri

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 08:56:28 am »
Hi Patrick,
I was in Texas in August and wondering about your bike ride!! Wow, it was so hot! I was a slug after a two mile run.

I've been too crazy busy to post August - Sept but now life has calmed down a little and I'm trying to get caught up with everyone on the forum.

So glad you are running the Houston marathon again! I'm training for Marine Corps in October and probably one in Deleware in December. I have a training group that is a slow pace like me, and they're trying to do a 50 miler this year. I do NOT have that on my bucket list!
I saw your pics from your MS bike ride and they were great! (can't believe it's been that long since I talked to you last)!
Happy training and thanks for inspring so many on here!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Brewers7

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 10:46:53 am »
Patrick,
      Congrats on your remarkable recovery.  I will be 3 years post op in December and I am getting back into running.  I was very encouraged by your post.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010