Author Topic: 1 sided facial paralysis  (Read 5118 times)

leanne

• Facebook
1 sided facial paralysis
« on: September 02, 2011, 06:57:30 am »

I had gammak knife for a 1.5cm AN i had 1 dose for 38 minutes, 3 days after treatment my face on the side of the AN started to go numb after 2 days the whole side of my face was paralysed. The doctors have no idea whats happened or whats caused this. They did a CT & MRI scans and have said there is some nerve damage to 5 of the 8 cranial nerves but they dont know how that has happened or if it will get better. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else??
Leanne x

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: 1 sided facial paralysis
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 05:05:26 am »
Hi Leanne and welcome.  BTW, I married me a bloke from the Darlington area (his family now in Dorset) and love to travel to the area!

Where did you have your GK?

There are many here that are noting immediate post-radiation issues, such as you note, also including ear fullness, enhanced balance issues, enhanced tinnitus, etc. Some experience it, some don't. "Individual results may vary".  Have the physicians prescribed you any anti-inflammatories/steroids to try to help calm down the affected nerves? If yes, what have they recommended?

again, welcome.

Cheers!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leanne

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 07:25:30 am »
Hi Phyl,

it paralysed the right side of my face & throat. i was in a neurology unit at Sheffield hospital for 3 & a half weeks. i was on different types & dosages of steroids. Im going to be starting physio therapy soon & they have recommended electric stimulant type of programme so hopefully that will work. I had a gold weight put in my eye last week so i can close my eye at least, still waiting for all of the swelling & bruising to go down tho. I live in Nottinghamshire and had my GM at Sheffield. I have got a tiny bit of movement round my mouth  :)
 The feeling on the right side of my face is still semi-numb tho.
Leanne x

Susie

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 05:54:59 pm »
Leanne,
I had GK in 2007 and 3 months after the treatment, my facial paralysis developed. I was hospitalized and received IV steroids for 2 days and then oral steroids for several more days. Based on my experience, the GK doctors don't know what to do when this happens. Thankfully, I found a great occupational therapist who has been a God send.  My recovery has been slow, but steady. I have had a great lesson in patience. I started facial neuro-muscular therapy in December 2007 and continued for about 2 years. It is my prayer that your therapy will be successful. If you need to talk, you can contact me.
Take Care,
Susan
Gamma Knife 6/2007
Right sided facial paralysis 9/2007
Right sided deafness
Oticon Ponto Pro Power 9/2011
Appt at MEEI 10/2011
Psalm 121

leanne

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 11:32:23 pm »
Hi Susan,

Yeah i found that the doctors dont have a clue what to do & im fnding that this happens alot more than they say it does. Im starting facial neuro-muscular therapy & physio therapy in 3 weeks so hopefully that will help. ive got a little movement back around my mouth which is good. I too am learning patience. I have also had to have a gold weight inserted into my eye id because of the paralysis which i wasnt told could be needed when i first saw the GK doctor, again im finding this is quite a common side effect. i travelled over an hour to the hospital on friday to see the GK doctor who did my op (havent seen him since the day he did the op -17th July) and he didnt even bother to turn up to the appointment so not impressed with him at all. is your face back to the way it was before the GK & are you still having therapy & things?
Leanne x

Susie

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 03:15:40 pm »
Leanne,
I am sad to say that my face is not back to normal. I did regain some movement and I can blink my eye. I never got the weight implanted in my eyelid. I used a blinkeze that I adhered to my eyelid. My balance also got worse, so I had about 2 years of therapy.
How is your therapy going?
susan
Gamma Knife 6/2007
Right sided facial paralysis 9/2007
Right sided deafness
Oticon Ponto Pro Power 9/2011
Appt at MEEI 10/2011
Psalm 121