Author Topic: Balance in open spaces  (Read 4900 times)

Karen

Balance in open spaces
« on: August 28, 2011, 06:01:36 pm »
Has anyone noticed that walking in open places , like a field or road have noticed that they weave more?  I can walk good at worl, home, the mall but get me out in the open and I tend to stagger more.  I guess because there is nothing on either side of me,  anyone else that way?  Maybe I should walk that way more often to challenge myself.  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Balance in open spaces
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 06:47:16 pm »
This should not be the case for everyone, but for me, this will be a lifelong problem, since I have no vestibular function on either side.  Open spaces are always worse because I have less solid, unmoving objects to fix my gaze for stabilization as I am walking.  I have to look down to make sure there are no uneven surfaces because if I lose my footing and begin to fall, I have very little ability to regain my balance.  Therefore, I have learned to stay close to a wall, railing, or another person when I am outdoors, whenever possible.  I can never go across an open space in the dark without assistance.

But, you know what, many people have to make modifications in lifestyle for many different health reasons and I have learned that it has made very little difference in the "grand scheme" of things.

However, to respond to your "maybe I should walk that way more often to challenge myself" ...... yes, you should, but I would always do it safely.  A bad fall is never a good thing.  Try walking up and down the hallway in your house, first turning your head from side to side and then again turning your head up and down.  The goal is to walk as steadily as you can while increasing the speed with which you are moving your head.  This exercise should carry out to walking in open spaces because you are strengthening your vision and sensorineural systems.

Best thoughts.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 07:39:23 pm »
I had this issue early on in my recovery, but as time has passed so has the issue.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 07:44:46 pm »
Yes I do, I started using ski poles to walk in those places but I am 3 months post op.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

Jill Marie

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 08:54:27 pm »
Karen, your body learns the lay of the land so is more comfortable in familiar places.  I walk with my dogs a lot and even get comfortable in open spaces because I have walked there so many time.  Still not as easy as I would like, however it's better than not going out at all.  Take care and enjoy!  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.