Author Topic: Good Alternative to Refresh PM?  (Read 14587 times)

Angel894

Good Alternative to Refresh PM?
« on: August 26, 2011, 05:31:03 pm »
I know I only come around when I have a question, but I try to just forget about this part of my life as much as possible normally or I just get depressed.  So the problem:

I am 31 weeks pregnant.  I am ecstatic about the new baby, but pregnancy is bring up a whole new host of problems.  So the nerve damage seems to be regressing.  Like my limbs are starting to feel heavy again down my right side and my dexterity in my right hand is going.  The left side of my face is also getting worse.  Which means my eyes are drying out from that.  Then pregnancy causes dry eye.  So there is a big issue here.  I am using Refresh PM a lot.  I am going through a tube about every 3-4 days and basically paying about $100 a month for these things.  Is there a less expensive option that works?  I don't want to mess around with the health of my eye but this is getting ridiculous.  I see my Ophthalmologist Thursday, is there anything I should ask her about?

And I was told the neurological damage getting worse is normal in the 3rd trimester.  I just hope it goes back to normal fast after.  I am actually getting very worried about my ability to carry this baby full term and deliver safely, it seems to be going downhill so fast.
AN reduction March 17, 2009.  80% of a 6.4x7.6 cm  monster removed.  Remaining tumor has since shrunk leaving only slight residual tumor behind being monitored by now yearly MRIs.  Had my eye re-opened & the lids reconstructed in November of '10 & fighting to keep my life as normal as I can

Brewers7

Re: Good Alternative to Refresh PM?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 06:26:31 pm »
Walgreens has a brand that I use.  $7.99 a tube.  Occasionally it will be on sale.  Walmart also has an Equate brand that is comparable.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

HeidiC

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 06:56:35 pm »
You could try asking your eye dr for a prescription.  I haven't had my surgery yet, but I have dry eyes since I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and have also had Lasik surgery which makes it worse, and my dr prescribes eye drops for me so that I can get them from the pharmacy.  Its worth a shot!

~Heidi
Diagnosed 6-24-11 left side AN 3mm x 3mm
33 years old at time of diagnosis
Mid Fossia surgery 10-06-2011
with Drs Adunka and Ewend at UNC.

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 07:14:27 pm »
Hi!
 I just wanted to chime in that I had MANY complications after my AN surgery but went on to have 3 WONDERFUL (after the first 3 months) full term pregnancies & super great/easy deliveries. (I had trouble STAYING pregs & had to take shots everyday the 1st trimester.) I NEVER had anyone, Dr or laypersons, tell me of neurological digressions during the 3rd trimester, nor noticed any difference in symptoms or my eye. IMO, I got pregnant way too soon after my surgery. Of course, any pregnant woman's balance is off as their girth increases and I had to be extra careful about that, but nothing super different. I use Refresh PM 24/7 but am fortunate that I mainly use it before bed and after my shower. I probably should use it more but since I have no sensation, my only clue to when I need more is redness. Sorry I can't help you with that...I guess I'm too scared to try anything else since I had to have my eye sewn completely shut at one time!! I did use drops when I had a gold weight in - have you tried that? They are wonderful!

Congratulations on your baby & welcome to the best thing a woman could ever experience!!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Angel894

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 08:38:31 pm »
Hi!
 I just wanted to chime in that I had MANY complications after my AN surgery but went on to have 3 WONDERFUL (after the first 3 months) full term pregnancies & super great/easy deliveries. (I had trouble STAYING pregs & had to take shots everyday the 1st trimester.) I NEVER had anyone, Dr or laypersons, tell me of neurological digressions during the 3rd trimester, nor noticed any difference in symptoms or my eye. IMO, I got pregnant way too soon after my surgery. Of course, any pregnant woman's balance is off as their girth increases and I had to be extra careful about that, but nothing super different. I use Refresh PM 24/7 but am fortunate that I mainly use it before bed and after my shower. I probably should use it more but since I have no sensation, my only clue to when I need more is redness. Sorry I can't help you with that...I guess I'm too scared to try anything else since I had to have my eye sewn completely shut at one time!! I did use drops when I had a gold weight in - have you tried that? They are wonderful!

Congratulations on your baby & welcome to the best thing a woman could ever experience!!

;D

This is my third pregnancy.  My first was 10 months old when I went in for surgery and we lost my 2nd January13th.  My pregnancy with him was a ton easier than this one is.  I had my eye sewn shut completely before, too.  I just had it opened in November and had reconstructive surgery to my eyelids.  I really don't wanna go back.  I can actually feel when my eye gets really dry.  Regular drops stopped working for me late 1st tri.  Glad to know you went on for normal deliveries.  If the neurological stuff gets too much worse, I will call my Neurologist.  But he is 2 hours away and I really don't wanna be in a car that long if I can avoid it.

I am going to see if there is something RX she could give me.  My insurance co won't cover the PMs even if there is a script for it.  We called to check already.

I will look into walgreens and equate.  If one of them works, it'd be great.
AN reduction March 17, 2009.  80% of a 6.4x7.6 cm  monster removed.  Remaining tumor has since shrunk leaving only slight residual tumor behind being monitored by now yearly MRIs.  Had my eye re-opened & the lids reconstructed in November of '10 & fighting to keep my life as normal as I can

jilljpower

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 06:43:14 pm »
Hi,
I'm not sure how things are going with your eye and with the dryness, but I thought I would share what has helped me.  A few months ago my opthamologist offered to add a plug or stint into my tear ducts.  This allows the eye to keep the moisture in instead of releasing it down into your nasal cavity.  Such a easy solution with great benefits.  I use much less ointment now.  Good Luck!
Jill
4cm AN, debulked 6/22/09 Redwood City, CA Kaiser.  1 gram platinum gold weight in eyelid.  Nerve intact, but full facial paralysis.  Cross Facial Nerve Graft- 2step process 11/2011 and 7/2012.  Try blogging, it has been great therapy for me.  www.jilljoyousjourney.blogspot.c

odirish

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 12:18:49 pm »
This is a little late, but I switched to Refresh Gel. It last alot longer.

Mary Ann

Angel894

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 12:13:07 am »
Hi,
I'm not sure how things are going with your eye and with the dryness, but I thought I would share what has helped me.  A few months ago my opthamologist offered to add a plug or stint into my tear ducts.  This allows the eye to keep the moisture in instead of releasing it down into your nasal cavity.  Such a easy solution with great benefits.  I use much less ointment now.  Good Luck!
Jill

I actually had that done after my surgery in November.  It didn't make a huge difference for me.

Angel894

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 12:14:51 am »
This is a little late, but I switched to Refresh Gel. It last alot longer.

Mary Ann

Refresh Gel?  Is it over the counter?  I will have to try it.  And never too late!  I just came nosin around because my eye is red and dry, I am guessing from this weather.  It just suddenly came on today.

mandy721

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 09:11:33 pm »

Refresh Gel?  Is it over the counter?  I will have to try it.  And never too late!  I just came nosin around because my eye is red and dry, I am guessing from this weather.  It just suddenly came on today.

Refresh Liguigel is the name of the product and it is sold over the counter.  My husband uses this throughout the day and the PM ointment at night.  I have found the good prices for both Refresh Liguigel and PM at Bed, Bath and Beyond.  Costco's price on Refresh PM is the best I have found.

(Fixed the quote format only :) Phyl )
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 05:25:36 am by ppearl214 »
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems