Author Topic: BAHA + music  (Read 7623 times)

Itheus

BAHA + music
« on: August 24, 2011, 09:24:41 am »
I am a huge lover of music.  I play a little bit myself, just for fun, nothing serious - it's kind of an escape for me.  One of the things that bothers me most about being SSD is the way music sounds now.  I've read plenty of benefits of having a BAHA in social situations and understand this, but didn't see anyone specifically talk about the BAHA and listening to music.  Does it sound better?

Thanks in advance.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: BAHA + music
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 09:52:43 am »
Hi Aaron .....

Music was my career and in retirement I am still actively playing piano, organ and singing on an intermittent basis.  I, as well, was very concerned about how my hearing loss would affect my enjoyment of music.  My first AN surgery (3 1/2 years ago) resulted in an 80% hearing loss, but I still maintained 100% speech recognition.  Therefore, I had relatively good success with a hearing aid.  My biggest frustration was two different pitches in my two ears!  However, my brain eventually compensated for that and things eventually did not sound perpetually "out of tune."

However, three months ago I had my second AN surgery, which resulted in total hearing loss in my AN ear.  I knew I would not be happy with monaural hearing so I had the Oticon Ponto Pro abutment put in at the same time as the translab surgery.  Three weeks ago I was able to attach the processor for the first time.  It is wonderful in small groups and in situations where there are only a few speaking people.  Not very helpful in noisy restaurants (e.g. loud music and loud voices at the same time).  I am still working with my audiologist on tweaking the "music" setting ..... still would like to have more low tones.  Part of my problem is the super hearing I have in my good (non-AN) ear, accompanied with hyperacussis.  It is a balancing act to have the Ponto loud enough without overpowering my good ear hearing and avoiding feedback.

So, to answer your question, music sounds better with the Ponto than without, but it will never be the same stereo hearing I had before.

Hope that helps.  Feel free to ask any other specific questions.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 11:57:10 am »
I will add that you are so early out of surgery and in time the bad ear has less swelling and maybe full feeling that things can sound better that they may now.                Real loud music bothers me but we all vary in how things sound in time once it has all healed better.
                                              Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Itheus

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 09:20:37 pm »
Thanks Clarice and Cheryl!

I'm thinking that if my insurance covers it, the BAHA is going to be in my future.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 09:35:31 pm »
My BP100 has 3 programs - the 3rd one is programmed for music.

I bought a MP3 adapter from Cochlear that I use with my iPod and it's fantastic - good, quality stereo sound  ;D

Another nice feature of the adapter is that one end attaches to my BP100 and the other end attaches to my iPod; no ear buds necessary.  When I use it, it's like having a concert inside of my head  ;D

When I met Dale a few months ago, I let her try my MP3 adapter.  She was sold and purchased her own shortly after that.

I highly recommend the BAHA - in my opinion, it's a huge improvement over being SSD without any type of aid.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 08:17:04 am »
I have not yet gotten a BAHA but am very seriously considering it (my situation is a little different because I am so far out)...however, even though I am not a trained musician, music has always played a HUGE role in my life. I do think that as time goes on, you do get to where it sounds really good again...at least I really enjoy all kinds of music!!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Itheus

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 05:31:19 pm »
Thanks again for the imput!

I submitted my paper work yesterday to see if my insurance will cover it.  Crossing my fingers!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 07:06:23 am »
Not sure if you are looking into a Cochlear BAHA or a Oticon BAHA.

If you are looking into a Cochlear BAHA and have insurance issues, Cochlear will help you resolve them.

They have a division called OMS that will work with your insurance company to get you coverage.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 09:48:20 pm »
I also enjoy music with my Ponto...I bought the jack that plugs into it so I can hear my iPod...I love it because where I work we aren't allowed to listen to iPod because they plug your ears and that can be a safety issue...with this setup, like Jan says, I have nice music in my head so now I am happy! :)  But listening music the normal way, it does sound better, although with the hearing loss I have, music listening didn't seem to suffer as much as word discrimination did...
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 05:46:51 am »
Jay, glad to hear that the Ponto has a music adapter too.  I wasn't sure it did.

Also, glad to hear you like it.  Sounds like everything is going well in your BAHA world (finally).  ;D

Jan

Itheus

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 12:44:15 pm »
Well I have been initially turned down by my insurance.  However, I won't go down without a fight.  I'm checking to see what alternatives there might be.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 03:31:42 pm »
Sometimes it is a matter of how your doctor's office codes the authorization request.  A Ponto or BAHA is considered a medical necessity and a prothestic device, not a hearing aid and thus needs to be coded as such.

On appeal, a letter from your doctor, stating the medical necessity would certainly help your case.

Quite by accident, the other day when I did not have my processor on and indeed, had ear protectors on while the blender was going, I tried to walk to another location in my kitchen and nearly fell over.  It was at that point I realized how much one uses hearing to assist in balance.

Good luck ...... and don't give up without a fight!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Itheus

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 03:50:18 pm »
Thanks Clarice.

I spoke with an audiologist, and she indicated this was far from over.  We are apealing the decision.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 07:46:18 pm »
Not sure if you are looking into a Cochlear BAHA or a Oticon BAHA.

If you are looking into a Cochlear BAHA and have insurance issues, Cochlear will help you resolve them.

They have a division called OMS that will work with your insurance company to get you coverage.

As I mentioned previously, if you are going with a Cochlear device, let Cochlear help out.

Regardless of the company you choose, make sure your insurance company is asked to cover a prothesis or implant, not a hearing aid.  Most policies don't cover hearing aids, but they do cover prothesis.  Also, if your insurance policy pays for Cochlear Implants, they can't refuse to pay for a BAHA.  Cochlear Implants are for those who are bilaterally (double-sided deaf) as opposed to unilaterally deaf (SSD).   If your policy pays for CIs but not BAHAs, you are being discriminated against because you are 1/2 deaf as opposed to completely deaf.

The folks at the ANA will tell you that most insurance companies refuse coverage of a BAHA on the first request but, if you are persistent and don't give up, chances are very good that it will eventually be covered.

Good luck,

Jan