Author Topic: Possible Cause of Headaches  (Read 6077 times)

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
Possible Cause of Headaches
« on: August 22, 2011, 10:31:55 pm »
The following paragraph was found in an article about the professional golfer JB Holmes. Note that one of the symptoms is headache. The cerebellum is displaced during AN Retro/Sigmoid approach. Maybe there is a connection?

When the indented bony space at the lower rear of the skull is smaller than normal, the cerebellum and brainstem can be pushed downward. The resulting pressure can cause a range of symptoms that include dizziness, muscle weakness, numbness, vision problems, headache, and problems with balance and coordination.

Here is a link to the full article.   http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/sports-golf/20110822/Holmes.Surgery/
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
Re: Possible Cause of Headaches
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 09:31:39 am »
Hi Janet, when I was first diagnosed, everybody I know was contacting every relative, friend, friend of a friend who they remembered having some kind of brain surgery. Not many turned out to have had an AN. One of the women who contacted me also had a Chiari Malformation. My understanding is that the skull is too small and the cerebellum literally starts to squeeze out of the space it would normally reside in. The pressure is caused by the cerebellum trying to fit into this small space. I checked on the definition and it said "Chiari malformation occurs when the section of the skull containing the cerebellum is too small or is deformed, thus putting pressure on and crowding the brain. The lowermost portion, or tonsils, of the cerebellum are displaced into the upper spinal canal."

I definitely agree with you that this "shoving" of the cerebellum during retrosigmoid surgery and any subsequent scarring can cause headaches. And I'm sure the trigeminal nerve being disturbed, too, doesn't help with headaches either. My neurosurgeon pretty much said so, and he asks me at every visit if I have headaches. I'm a little over 3 months post-retrosigmoid from my AN removal and right now I don't have constant headaches. I do get the stabbing, sharp trigeminal pain, and I have the normal facial aches and feelings that occur to a paralyzed face. I still don't have movement, but I'm hopeful.
Diag. Dr. Saffran ENT 3-9-11; 45 yrs at time of diag. 3.5+ cm AN rt side; 9 hr retrosigmoid craniectomy 5-12-11 FL Hosp. South, Neurosurgeon Dr. Melvin Field; Gold wt implant
Post-op: facial para. (rt), double vision (cleared up), SSD, tinnitus, balance issues, ataxia, movement disorder

Mei Mei

Re: Possible Cause of Headaches
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 06:11:52 pm »
Thank you for this Janet.   I'm not having headaches anymore, but powerful stinging at the area below my excision and neck and shoulders.   I will pass this along to others.  Your are always very meaningful.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh