Author Topic: frozen shoulder  (Read 2834 times)

tracey

frozen shoulder
« on: August 20, 2011, 09:48:50 am »
Hi, I was wondering if anyone else has had a frozen shoulder post op. I had my surgery last April and besides the usual ssd, slight balance issues and a dry mouth I went back to work on reduced hours in September. By November I was working my normal hours, then in December  my shoulder began to get painful. In January it was also affecting the muscles on my head and physio caused a painful head spasm. I've since had 3 injections into the joint and it's still causing me trouble. I've now been off work longer with this than my original operation and am feeling a bit down. 

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: frozen shoulder
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 01:26:35 pm »
Hi tracey and welcome to this forum .....

So sorry you are having to deal with a painful shoulder!

I did not have a frozen shoulder, but following my first surgery three and a half years ago, I developed a very painful shoulder.  I finally went to my orthopedist, who said it was bursitis and injected it with cortisone, which helped greatly.  At the same time I bought a larger and firmer pillow because what I had been doing was sleeping almost entirely on my non-AN side.  That also helped greatly and with some physical therapy it completely resolved.

When my second surgery was scheduled, I was afraid the same thing might happen again so I took great precautions not to sleep with my full weight on my shoulder.  This time, it did not happen.

Did your doctor order any physical therapy or offer any other treatments besides injections?

Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Mei Mei

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 01:45:41 pm »
Hi!
I've had a frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) for over five years now.   When it first began, I had shots of cortisone but the effects are only fleeting.   I still can't lift him arm above my head.   I've had tons of PT for it and made some progress but still can't raise my arm up in the air.

Good luck with it.   It also is a long and painful road.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Ellen K

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 02:06:38 am »
I also have frozen shoulder or a torn rotator cuff. Not fun!!! PT definitely helped, as well as time and ice. It's been almost a year since it started and I still can't sleep on the side with the hurt shoulder, but I'd like to avoid surgery.  That said, i know many folks who have had successful surgeries  I no longer have constant pain and now have greater range of motion. I'm in w&w so it is not related to my AN.  I know it is very painful and commiserate. I really recommend PT for getting some relief.  Also try to stay active generally to help healing. Good luck.  :P
3mm diagnosed December 2010 when I was 45. Very unusual presentation - severe vertigo, then dizziness daily, now just occasional dizziness, but it can be debilitating some days. No hearing loss! But yes to ear fullness and wonky brain. Watch and wait.

tracey

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 12:44:39 pm »
Thanks for your replys. The last cortisone shot I had has taken the edge off slightly and I have bought a bean bag heat pack which is helping with the headaches, have resigned myself to the fact its gonna take a while.

Mei Mei

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 12:57:50 pm »
Hi!   I have a bean bag heating pad made from flax seeds that I got from whole foods.   It only lasts about 20 minutes.
My friend from Taiwan said to make one from red beans that you buy at the supermarket and they last about two hours.

If we made enough of these things, we could go into business together.   ;D
Hugs and keep those muscles relaxed.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh