Author Topic: Can Tinnitus continue after Translab and why? Please share with me  (Read 3798 times)

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
Hello.  Looks like I will be having Translab in January.  I need to research more, but can or do we have Tinnitus post Translab Surgery?  Why would we have it if "hearing" nerves are taken out?
Thanks!
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Can Tinnitus continue after Translab and why? Please share with me
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 04:42:35 pm »
Hi ~

AN removal surgery doesn't usually affect tinnitus, although there are exceptions, of course.  If you have tinnitus prior to AN surgery, no matter what surgical approach is used, you will very likely still have it, post-op.  Occasionally tinnitus is increased after surgery and in relatively rare cases, it decreases.  The reason severing the hearing nerve does not affect tinnitus is based on the fact that tinnitus isn't an actual sound your ear picks up but a result of your brain reacting to nerve damage or related issues.  Whatever manifestation of 'sound' you 'hear' with your tinnitus (there is a very broad spectrum of tinnitus 'sounds') it is not actual, audible sound but simply your brain reacting to some sort of damage, either to the ear mechanism and/or the hearing nerve.  Thus, severing the hearing nerve does not cause the 'sound' to cease. 

I'm not a doctor and only suffer from a very mild form of tinnitus so I may be contradicted by others with a more precise understanding of the affliction but I believe I've helped answer your main query as to why tinnitus doesn't disappear when the hearing nerve is severed in Translab AN surgery.

Jim    
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mk

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 08:16:28 pm »
My neurosurgeon described it as similar to what amputees experience when they have a limb or arm amputated. They still have the "phantom" sensation of the body part being there (even feeling itchy), even though there is nothing there in reality. As Jim pointed out the sound is created within the brain itself, that's why it has nothing to do with the presence or not of the hearing nerve.

You can't really predict what will happen with respect to tinnitus after surgery. Some people who never had tinnitus acquire it after surgery, and it can be mild or severe. Some patients preserve their hearing, but still get tinnitus. Others never have problems with tinnitus. My neurosurgeon gave me 5-10% chance that I would get tinnitus (I didn't have it before), but I ended up with mild tinnitus for the first few days only, which then disappeared.

I am sure others will chime in with their experiences, but you will see there is a lot of variability in the range and severity of what they have experienced.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 11:45:03 am »
it was tinnitus which kinda drove me to have my hearing checked in the 1st place. Then after the AN surgery i still have it. Can't say it is any better or worse just still there.

Now my ear surgeon explained it to me this way. Tinnitus is kinda the brain trying to hear and it cant. so it makes this background noise kinda like a busy signal on a phone.

I have learned to deal with it and it rarely bothers me, and when it is a lot more i have things i can do to try and diminish it again.
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

JAndrews

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 07:29:12 pm »
I had translab. I had tinnitus prior to surgery (one of the symptoms that led me to the doctor). After surgery it seems louder to me with lots of variations in the sounds. Sometimes it will make a thud,beep,crickets,swooshing...but 99% of the time its just a high pitch ring. Sometimes when the weird noises interrupt my usual ringing it scares me. My surgeon has assured me that regardless of the sounds, its all considered tinnitus. I have never heard of any one having their tinnitus go away after surgery. I can honestly say that I am used to it. It took time, but I did finally learn how to block it out--atleast during the day. Bedtime is a little more difficult. I have a ceiling fan that makes a rattle noise and occasionally take medication to help me get to sleep.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

alabamajane

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 12:33:07 pm »
Just a note,, I did have it before translab surgery about 6 weeks ago and still do .. no real difference.. like Jim said, it is "internal" not so much coming from outside the ear.. sorta like static sound.. but first few days after surgery,, I swore I could still hear the drill the Dr used during surgery!! Not to sound weird or yucky or anything,, just an observation. That was really sorta un-nerving,,  Mentioned it to Dr and he just shrugged shoulders like "it's possible!".....  :).. but thankfully that has gone away.. so I guess you can still "hear" just about anything...
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 04:44:56 pm »
Jeez, the creepiest is the drill...I guess I will thank and welcome the hissing that has turned to voices that make me jump when I hit the pillow at night.  argh!  Thanks for sharing though.  I like the real truth.  Will be having translab with Dr. Friedman at HEI Jan 25th.  Deep breath.  I understand way more now about tinnitus.  Thanks friends!
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 11:55:55 am »
AN surgery - and BAHA surgery - doesn't take away tinnitus; nor will either cause it.

Not sure why.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways