Author Topic: Ocular migraine post-op  (Read 8712 times)

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
Ocular migraine post-op
« on: August 16, 2011, 09:32:17 pm »
A new occurence post-op.  ??? Migraines run in my family. My mother and sister will get the migraine auras before they get the migraine headache. It sort of serves as a warning. Fortunately, I get the ocular migraine but have only gotten the horrible headache once. Usually, i would only get the visual part but not the actual migraine. I also don't get them very often. I can count on both hands the times I've gotten the ocular migraine in my entire lifetime. Today was the first time I've gotten the ocular migraine post-op. Even though I knew what was happening, it was terrifying, especially since it occurred in the eye on the AN side. I am now about 13 weeks post retrosigmoid and am having bad balance and walking issues. I've been going to balance therapy twice a week since i left the hospital. I've improved tremendously, but I still have a long way to go. Today my husband and I thought I should try the elliptical for the first time. I started to get the ocular migraine within 2 minutes on the elliptical and had to get off and lie down until it went away. I refuse to get on the stupid machine again. It's probably coincidental, I know, but I've had to deal with so much because of this AN. I don't need something else to worry about now. OK done venting. Hopefully, these will remain rare events. <sigh>
Diag. Dr. Saffran ENT 3-9-11; 45 yrs at time of diag. 3.5+ cm AN rt side; 9 hr retrosigmoid craniectomy 5-12-11 FL Hosp. South, Neurosurgeon Dr. Melvin Field; Gold wt implant
Post-op: facial para. (rt), double vision (cleared up), SSD, tinnitus, balance issues, ataxia, movement disorder

staypoz

Re: Ocular migraine post-op
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 02:29:30 pm »
Anasazi42, I hope this is a temporary phenom you are experiencing while you are still healing.  After my surgery, I would frequently experience exertional headaches after I tried to work out or do something physically demanding.  I really worked up to working out again and learned what kinds of things might (but not always!!) trigger something.  I also learned to pack my head in ice after I worked out to avoid a headache.  You might want to talk to your therapist about what you experienced.  One of my big passions is gardening and my therapist taught me ways to do what I love without putting unnecessary strain on the neck muscles that could trigger a headache. 

Be gentle with yourself as you are healing and ease back into your physical activities. 

Good luck to you!

staypoz     

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 07:48:23 pm »
I too get ocular migraines...when I went on high blood pressure they stopped visiting me.
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 09:48:31 pm »
Staypoz and GM, thanks for replying. I'll definitely tell my physical therapist about the ocular migraine. We felt the elliptical would be no big deal because she put me on a treadmill for the first time a few days before. But, you're right, I dont know if the elliptical was straining my neck or head  or was putting stress on me in some other way.

My blood pressure gave me some troubles after my surgery while I was in the hospital but they finally got it under control. High blood pressure hasn't really been an issue for me (I've always gotten a clean bill of health during physical exams)  and I've still gotten these bizarre migraines in my eye. I am hypothyroid and have been on medication for 12 years. I wonder if there's a connection between hypothyroidism to the AN. I don't think there's a connection to the migraines. But, who knows. It's not like science has a clear understanding of our endocrine systems either.
Diag. Dr. Saffran ENT 3-9-11; 45 yrs at time of diag. 3.5+ cm AN rt side; 9 hr retrosigmoid craniectomy 5-12-11 FL Hosp. South, Neurosurgeon Dr. Melvin Field; Gold wt implant
Post-op: facial para. (rt), double vision (cleared up), SSD, tinnitus, balance issues, ataxia, movement disorder

Amplified2000

• Loose nut behind the wheel
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 05:26:16 pm »
I was getting Ocular Migraines before my surgery and I have had a handful of them afterward in addition to a few other types of headaches. My neurologist told me that people who are prone to migraines can have the issue aggravated by things like head trauma (which he also included brain surgery). I was being treated for chronic migraine as well as the other headaches but I just recently went off all my meds and I'm happy to say that other than the occasional instance of 1 of my headache types and the rare ocular migraine I am pretty headache free... Sometimes it just takes time, you're still so fresh from surgery.. give it some time and definitely talk to your doctors about what you are experiencing, they can help alleviate the symptoms and possibly help speed along recovery like they did with me.
10th Cranial Nerve Neuroma - 4.6cm x 4.2cm x 6.8cm - Removed 5/08 by Dr. John Leonnetti @ Loyola University
AN - Left IAC - 20mm x 9mm x 11mm - 2/10
Mid-Fossa - Dr. Friedman @ HEI on 3/3/10
Total removal, only mild hearing loss.. did have a CSF leak but they fixed it :)
Home recovering :)