Author Topic: surgeon in Indiana or Ohio  (Read 2658 times)

Larry0986

surgeon in Indiana or Ohio
« on: August 11, 2011, 11:30:03 pm »
Good morning I have an an 2.5 cm that is starting to effect facial muscles and tongue, I have an appointment with a neurologist next wednesday . Is there a good doctor or hospital  in Indiana or Ohio that he could refer me to. Thanks Larry

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: surgeon in Indiana or Ohio
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 10:03:01 am »
Hi, Larry.  Welcome to the "club"  :)

I have a fabulous doctor in Illinois if you care to travel here.  If not, I'd check out Dr. John Tew, Dr. Philip Theodosopoulos, and/or Dr. Myles Pensak, at the University of Cincinnati.  They just hosted the ANA Symposium and are great docs with wonderful reputations. 

You'll find their information on the main page of the ANA website under "Medical Resources".

The ANA doesn't recommend doctors, but they do have what they term "Centers of Excellence" (a set of standards that must be passed based on what the ANA recommends for AN treatment) and those doctors/facilities are listed. 

Good luck on your AN Journey and please don't hesitate to ask us anything.  That's what we're here for.  It's also okay to just come here and vent  :)

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Larry0986

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 11:36:49 pm »
Thanks Jan , Cinncinnati is only two hours south.  I think I want to stay as close to home as possible the trip after surgery can't be much fun.  About how long after are you able to travel? Thanks Larry         

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 10:00:49 pm »
I'm assuming you are asking about airplane travel - and that all depends on your doctor(s).

My neurotologist doesn't let his surgical patients travel by plane for 6 weeks post op, which wasn't an issue for me coming home from the hospital, since my surgery was local.  The car ride was about 40 minutes and it wasn't too bad - mostly just left me disoriented.

But different docs have different rules.

Those who travel to HEI in Los Angeles are allowed to fly much sooner - I think as early as 10 days post op.   Most HEI patients don't think this is a problem, but as you say, I don't think it can be much fun.  Personally I can't imagine it - but then again, I didn't do it.

The first time I flew was about 8 weeks post op - from Chicago to Denver - and I didn't have any issues.

You'll find as you go through your AN treatment that docs do things differently, so don't hesitate to ask them questions about things like travel.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways