Author Topic: Unreal how it keeps getting scarier  (Read 3740 times)

BRS89

Unreal how it keeps getting scarier
« on: August 10, 2011, 06:38:48 pm »
I was diagnosed in April, and the 10mm guy is now on his 2nd MRI and has not grown. He is in W&W status. So be it. But, my doctor was doing a test on me and said I had some weakness on my dominant side leg. I pushed harder with my non-dominant than my dominant. He was concerned and it showed in his face.

He ordered a full body MRI. Now, I thought the head was a long trip inside this tube, but the full body is x3 inside. Then, the next day I had to have a full CT scan as well. That was Monday. He said he would call me and tell me to pucker up and come in, or see me in 6 months for another MRI on the AN.

What in the world is he looking for? I feel like an idiot for not asking, but everything I am reading is not very good. As Tuesday goes into Wednesday and now tomorrow is Thursday, I am a bit worried that what started as a scary AN that came out of the blue could be something much worse. I basically hug my 5 year old son to cope.

teripo

Re: Unreal how it keeps getting scarier
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 07:39:36 pm »
I found out only 6 weeks ago but I dont' think it has to do with AN.The 10 mm has to do with hearing, facial muscles ,etc.I dont think it has to do with your lower extremities.Anyone??

opp2

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 08:54:16 pm »
Try not to panic. I too had right side weakness in the leg. The pressure test on the right foot indicated that I could not hold the weight as with the left. My AN was on the left. (contralateral). It was nothing more. I know it's easy for me to say, but I have been in your shoes. Sometimes these things manifest themselves in the strangest ways. All the best.

Nikki
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 06:37:42 am »
I feel like an idiot for not asking, but everything I am reading is not very good.

Your best bet is to call your doctor and ask him.  Reading - and speculating - isn't the best idea, plus it causes lots of stress that may be unwarranted.

Just my opinion,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 02:13:07 pm »
Brandon ~

We are not doctors and really have no ability to offer suggestions about what your doctor is concerned about.  That being the case, I will echo Jan's astute advice to contact your doctor and simply ask him what he is looking for.  Don't allow him or his secretary to brush you off. Let them know that you are very concerned and the stress isn't good for you.  You just want a minute with the doctor (on the phone is fine) to ask him what he thinks your problem may be - if any.  It seems as if he doesn't want to scare you with no basis but let him know that his obvious concern and all the (expensive) tests are having exactly that effect (scaring you) and you need to know what's going on.  This is definitely a case where the patient (you) has to be proactive - and I hope you will be.  When you find out something, please let us know.  Thanks. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.