Author Topic: Swollen ankles/feet/vp shunt/ AN removal!Why?  (Read 5884 times)

murdockthefirst

Swollen ankles/feet/vp shunt/ AN removal!Why?
« on: August 07, 2011, 01:19:17 am »
Both of my feet have become swollen recently.I had AN removed in April,VP shunt put in July,what next?!
Jeff Murdock

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Swollen ankles/feet/vp shunt/ AN removal!Why?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 02:22:47 pm »
Jeff ~

I'm not a doctor and cannot 'diagnose' the cause of the swelling in your ankles and feet but it may not be directly connected to having the shunt.  I suggest you consult a physician for more answers and I hope this can be corrected, soon.  Please keep us updated.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

murdockthefirst

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 11:03:20 pm »
Thanks Jim!I went to the e.r. a day after my post!Had edema in both feet and ankles.The e.r. doctor could not confirm that the swelling was a result of my tumor removal or the VP shunt!I was low on potassium,given pills for that,also a script for some water pills to reduce the swelling...I was fortunate to get in to see my neurologist today,Monday the 8Th...At first I am seen by a nurse practitioner who I have dealt with before and explained about my feet,my constant fatigue,my headaches,wa,wa,etc.All real going ons with me!She stated that she did not think the surgery's had anything to do with my edema either.She stated that it could be liver,kidney,or degenitive heart disease! Lovely I said!Sure is funny though that I never tested for any of the above,and told her that since all this has come about I have felt worse than before! >:(She asked about my past life style,(I'll be 57 soon) did I drink,did I ever smoke,on and on! I must state right now that I am  sooooooo pissed it's unimaginable!.. >: ???..Yes I drank,no i never smoked!..Saved by the Dr...The fatigue he explained  maybe because the procedure was long and involved.(I walked in off the street as my first post states into an e.r.because of severe headaches.. was cat scanned.. tumor found... was taken to another facility,then another..a large AN tumor removed.. and almost 4 weeks later was sent to a nursing facility then home..)Headaches were somewhat normal,he said the shunt was working fine,but...he showed me on his laptop an x-ray of my head and stated.."We didn't get it all!..We'll have to use radiation via gamma knife"! I'm in shock as I was told back in April that he got it all! Then  he told the N.P to set me up to have ultrasound on both feet,legs tomorrow, his words.... to "check for blood clots"and walked out!..So whats really going on?I am at wits end! Theres more to all this then meets the eye! :-X I have read many posts here,I must say that I feel something has changed in me dramaticly since my surgery's.Whats up!
Jeff Murdock

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 07:13:50 am »
I agree as a retired nurse that the swelling is not for sure due to the AN and shunt.     Lots of people have problems with swelling.       The ultrasound is just something to check out in case and not that he is thinking it for sure.    In most cases blood clot would be in just one leg.   The other symptoms I am not sure.       The lifestyle questions are always asked as smoking causes problems with circulation which be a cause of the swelling.    Excessive drinking can cause some issues also which cause edema.              Has it been the high heat lately where you are as even that can cause some problems in some people.              Keep at your dr with how you are feeling.             Those with shunts should also let you know what their experience has been.   
                                          Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

murdockthefirst

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 12:08:47 am »
Thanks Cheryl!..I give up though!...It is what it is!...I'm giving it to my Creator!...If prolonging my life by the means that have been tried...has not changed how I feel...on the contrary I feel worse...Well no more!...I have made up my mind to accept whatever may come!... :-X.Meaning no more medical assistance!...Maybe I failed to mention that my A.N. was not completely removed by surgery!..Gamma knife scheduled for next month to remove the remainder!....I don't think so!...J. Murdock
Jeff Murdock