Author Topic: Trouble swallowing  (Read 3921 times)

sarahinPA

Trouble swallowing
« on: August 04, 2011, 08:27:45 am »
I just spoke with my doctor, he believes that the foam stuff they place to stop the bleeding has swollen, pushing on my nerve which effects the swallowing. I am swallowing a bot better today am awaiting another swallow test soon. If the swallowing is really getting better then they will observe me through the weekend  if it hasn't gotten better than they will have to reopen the incision to remove that piece of foam stuff.   The scariest thing for me is going under anestethia, I had such a horrible reaction the other day I'm scared to death to get this done again.  Any thoughts??
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

Cheryl R

Re: Trouble swallowing
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 08:43:55 am »
Sorry to hear of your troubles but the good thing is that it would be a much shorter surgery so not as long an anesthetia time.      Plus there are various kinds of drugs they use and should be able to try another type if they might have a clue about which one bothered you.         it is not fun to do it again as I had a CSF leak 2 weeks after my facial neuroma surgery and had surgery again.    They had used a new type product in there to help hold things in place-a colloidal implant- and 3 people had leaks with it so had to go back to the previous type used.    This one was 3 hrs as did some other work in there to make sure no more leak.   Think yours would be shorter.     I was not in ICU overnight either.             Hope the swelling goes down so don't have to have it.        Having the swallowing issue is not fun either.         One never knows what can happen and most times don't but occ.                        Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

moe

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 10:47:56 am »
Praying for a good swallow test result so you don't have to go through another surgery :( Just posted on another thread.
Since they know of the reaction you had with the previous anesthesia, I would imagine they would be extra careful if you need that second surgery, so you won't have the same reaction. Totally understand how you can be scared, but keep the faith in the anesthesiologist OK?
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 06:39:27 pm »
Prayers for continued swallowing recovery....
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

sarahinPA

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 10:08:16 am »
Doctor sent me home yesterday without having any surgery! I do have in a feeding tube while my throat strengthens. This Is a major annoyance of course, but one I cans age for a short amount of time. My family must feed me through this tube with a formula type thing. I pray this all begins to work out, stitches come out on Tuesday.
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

Phillies

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 10:48:03 am »
I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles. I pray that you get well soon

Itheus

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 12:29:23 pm »
Doctor sent me home yesterday without having any surgery! I do have in a feeding tube while my throat strengthens. This Is a major annoyance of course, but one I cans age for a short amount of time. My family must feed me through this tube with a formula type thing. I pray this all begins to work out, stitches come out on Tuesday.

Yay for no more surgery!!   :)

Hopefully your swallowing improves quickly!

LisaP

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 04:34:35 pm »
Hi,

I also pray that you recovery soon too.

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 06:25:40 pm »
Complications do crop up from time to time.They are vexing, frustrating and time consuming...the last thing we want to be doing after major surgery!  I had some swallowing difficulties after my surgery, but was fine after a few days. It was scary and made me afraid to eat, so I lived on yogurt while I was in the hospital.  Hang in there!  You sound like you are adjusting as well as you can.  It all takes time, so give yourself that gift and let your body heal.  Keep us posted on your progress!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.