Author Topic: Wishing you good balance, too!  (Read 3330 times)

grega

Wishing you good balance, too!
« on: July 27, 2011, 10:40:26 am »
Hi friends,

Had my AN removed in 2004, and before last week, no one had ever complimented me on my balance.  Having not thought about my balance for many years, unless I was in danger of falling over for some odd reason or another, the compliment caught me by suprise .... pleasantly surprised.

Background .... my better half and I traveled to VT & NH last week to escape the mid-Atlantic heat, but it followed us north .... oh well, whatever.  And she made sure that major events included having more than one good lobster dinner .... which we did!  Yum!

Whoops, sorry .... back to balance.  Because of TSA's ever-present need to make sure no pidgeon-toed people enter their security devices, they make us remove our shoes, hiking boots or flip-flops.  I'm sure at least a few of you have faced this too.  And, after showing the sweet, smiling TSA lady the paper remaining in my pockets, she let me go.  So I hightailed it to my stuff in those beautiful bins, trying to make sure no one stole my belt, coins or stinky shoes, before the bins got too close to the end of the rollers.

So, then I was faced with that ever-present dilemma of how and where to hide my dirty socks, laden with all those germs that I just collected due to TSA's security policy!  Should I search for a comfortable seat, or stand on one foot and risk hopping around like a one-legged Canada goose that's been wounded by a severely-sliced golf ball ....  which I have witnessed.

Well, I chose the latter .... hoping that I would not waste precious time hopping all over the place (remember you childhood pogo stick?).  And I actually did pretty good .... foot up, shoe on, tied .... then same for the other.  So then better half said, "Nice balance!"  That was so nice to hear.

So ......  I truly hope that your balance improves to the point that someone close says something similar to you.  Or .... just tell yourself .... nice balance!

Keep smiling,

Greg

1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Wishing you good balance, too!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 03:37:43 pm »
Hi, Greg ~

Congratulations on your balance achievement!  No small thing to AN patients.  I'm 5 years post-op/radiation and a few years after my surgery I was getting dressed one morning, putting on my pants, and realized that I was doing so without holding on to anything...I was just balancing, like a normal person!  I smiled and congratulated myself on my progress.  I haven't tried to put on socks and shoes, then tie the shoes while standing on one foot.  I suspect this might be difficult to accomplish (for me).  However, I intend to try, just out of curiosity.  See, you've encouraged us to 'push the envelope'.  Well done!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 08:07:15 pm »
Living on the edge, boys, living on the edge...

Way to Go!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 11:01:02 pm »
Living on the edge, boys, living on the edge...
Hilarious, Kaybo  ;D

Grega -

love the descriptive narrative.  Congrats on the nice balance.

As for me, I still can't stand on one foot without falling over to one side - probably never will be able to do that  :P

Oh well, there are worse problems in life.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways