Author Topic: I did it! Surgery was Monday...  (Read 7054 times)

Lesliegc

I did it! Surgery was Monday...
« on: July 27, 2011, 10:14:38 am »
...at HEI. Took 3 hours, and I am fairly sure I have hearing on that side, but won't know to what extent until they unwrap the turban from my head tomorrow. Monday I don't really remember, surgery ended at 1 pm and then i was mostly sleeping. Tuesday was really hard...I just kept throwing up, and the anti-nausea meds seemed to make it worse. By end of day we seemed to have a working cocktail for the pain and nausea, so today I'm a lot better, and even ate some oatmeal! The dizzinesss is extreme. I've only gotten up thus far to use the bathroom, and I had to hold onto someone the whole time, but today the PT will have me walking in the hallway. Doctors were great, nursing staff excellent, and all in all I think it went very well, though I won't know for awhile the story on the dizziness. I'm very grateful to this forum for being a source of caring support, information, and stories. Will update periodically as I improve.
4mmx9mm  right side
diagnosed 6/11/11
middle fossa  7/25/11 at HEI
developed chronic headaches at 5 months post op

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: I did it! Surgery was Monday...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 11:43:37 am »
WOW!  This is wonderful.  How well I remember the kind PTs and OTs who walked me down the hallways of St. Vincent's.  Sounds like you are doing great.  So glad the nausea is most likely behind you now ..... never to return!  The more you get up and go walk, the faster the dizziness will go away ...... but, be sure to listen to your body and rest between walks.

Prayers .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 03:19:18 pm »
Hi, 'Postie' Leslie ~

Congratulations on what appears to be a very successful AN removal surgery!  I hope your hearing was preserved and I'm sure your equilibrium will improve with each day - and lots of walking.  We'll be looking for further updates as you're able.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

New girl

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 03:45:16 pm »
Congrats on your successful surgery!  I just got my surgery date this morning.  Thanks for posting.  I am trying to read as much as possible on this site to help prepare myself.  I hope you have a speedy recovery!  :)
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

Desilu

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 04:38:46 pm »
Hi Leslie,

So happy to hear you are doing well! It gets easier as the days go by. Lots of good advice has already been given. Walking is "key" for your dizziness, it will definitely help. Keep us posted and stay positive! Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Lesliegc

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 04:58:25 am »
thanks, everyone. My hubby left last night to catch the red eye to Boston, and my mom doesn't arrive until noon or so, and I've been awake since midnight myself--I think it must be the steroids. So, things aren't great at the moment. But, the surgery did go well, and I have about the same hearing, a little bit of a crooked smile that will likely go back to normal, plus I got my funky turban removed yesterday, so at least I have an awesome scar to show for my troubles.Started walking yesterday in the hallway, with the assistance of a PT and a leash. Wow, talk about humbling. In my regular life I love to hike big, challenging mountains. I just have to remember this will take time, so I don't get discouraged. For anyone coming out here to do this surgery, they really are so completely competent, and the nurses are the best, esp my wonderful life saving ICU nurse. I had a very strong reaction to anesthesia and couldn't stop throwing up, and she just stayed with me, holding the bucket and swithing it out for a clean one when I needed. I mean, for about 8 hours straight. And, this was with some extra anti-nausea drugs they gave me ahead of time. God knows what it would have been like without! Definitely tell them if you tend to nausea with anesthesia drugs. The only other weird thing is that I have extrememly low blood pressure and resting heart rate. So, during surgery and since, I periodically set off all kinds of alarms because they aren't used to that. Then the doc has to explain to the nurses (who change every shift) that it's just a healthy athletic heart, not me being in danger. OK I think I've used up my quota of looking at words, so I will sign off. Thank you so much for being available at this forum. If anyone wants to read about my journey, i have a caringbridge.org site (just enter lesliecarleton under "visit". I'm more than happy to answer any questions and pay forward some of the kind support I have receieved from this site. God bless, Leslie
4mmx9mm  right side
diagnosed 6/11/11

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 05:23:50 am »
Leslie-
So glad things seem to be going well for you!! I know about that throwing up thing after being put under - NOT FUN!! this last surgery I had, I didn't get sick once - I they had to go in (& put me under & completely bring me out twice!) - couldn't believe it!! They can keep you from getting sick -IF YOU tell them & make a big enough deal about it first! Girl, I tell EVERYBODY that walks by that I might get sick, they better do something - I'd tell the janitor if he's there!! ;)

Keep listening to your body - it's OK to have a down day here & there!!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Silver Sonnet

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 06:44:49 am »
Yay, Leslie!  How great that you are doing so well!

I'm glad to hear the nausea is over; it's NO FUN!  Strangely, I only threw up were when my surgeon came in to visit!  Luckily, he's very good at dodging, but he quickly learned to approach me from the "non-projectile" side ;)

Rest, celebrate your success, and give yourself time to recover.  You'll be back on top of the mountain in no time.

Desilu

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 06:45:14 am »
Hi Leslie,

You are doing awesome! So glad you are happy with your decision to go to House! Each day will get a little better. Some days you can only take baby steps, and other days you are taking leaps and bounds. Will be praying for you to make a full recovery.  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 07:28:49 am »
Hi Leslie .....

Sorry about the nausea, but many of us can identify.  So glad they were able to deal with it.

After my first retrosigmoid surgery (17 years ago) I vomited for two days ..... I was miserable.  Ever since that experience, like Kay, I have told every person who came near me during any pre-anesthesia that I have this history.  After my second retrosigmoid surgery (3 1/2 years ago) I had one tiny wave of nausea upon waking up and no vomiting.  What a huge difference!  Then, when I was at House two months ago for the translabyrinthine surgery, I had mild nausea in the ICU and one small episode of dry heaves the next day in my room and that was it.

Ahhhh yes, the sleeplessness of steroid use!  I did not have a computer in my room at the hospital, but used my IPhone to read the news, play games, text, etc.  Sure helped pass the time when my brain would not go to sleep.  Glad you are feeling well enough to type a long post.

Yes, you will be back to mountain climbing before you know it.  Just remember it is baby steps for a while but you will progress rapidly.

Are you staying in Seton Hall?  If so, the walking back and forth from the cafeteria to your room will be great exercise.  5 days after surgery I walked from Seton Hall all the way to the Clinic and back, with just some gentle assistance from my husband's arm.  I sort of made it my goal.  Make small goals like that and it really helps.

Best thoughts and continuing prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 06:25:27 pm »
You sound so good, I am sure there are good moments and bad pretty evenly right now but I know it gets better everyday.  You have determination and spunk so I have no doubt that those hiking trails won't be too far off in your future.  Heres to a quick recovery and welcome to postie land.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

JLR

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 06:40:27 pm »
Hi Leslie, All the very best wishes for a very speedy and very comfortable recovery.  ( Pepcid AC works for nausea..don't know why, but seems to work ...of course, check with your doctor first)  Joan

JAndrews

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 07:01:12 pm »
Terrific news!! The more you walk the faster the dizziness goes away
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

Itheus

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 09:25:17 pm »
Hi Leslie, congrats on getting through this!

I'm now a week removed from my surgery, and things have been improving pretty rapidly with my balance and dizziness.  I'm far from being in the clear yet, but seeing progress certainly helps with patience!  Hopefully you will see these improvements as well, I'm sure you will especially since you were active before hand. 

I too got sick, although luckily only once.  I can certainly identify with the nausea... 

I was very humbled the first few times walking too!   :)

Best of luck, and cheers to you for "being on the other side" as well!

Aaron

Lesliegc

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 09:08:45 am »
Thank you, Aaron. It helps to hear from someone so recently ahead of me! Speedy recovery to you--hope you have tons of good progress over the next few days. I'm so happy to be leaving the hospital today. L
4mmx9mm  right side
diagnosed 6/11/11