Author Topic: Dry eye from Radio-Surgery..  (Read 4085 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Dry eye from Radio-Surgery..
« on: July 19, 2006, 09:27:54 am »
Any "posties" (post-treatment) of radio-surgery experience dry eye?  If so, what do you find works the best (ie: drops/oinments, etc).

Oh, yeah.. another to my fun list... :(

Huggles to you all!
xoxo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Raydean

Re: Dry eye from Radio-Surgery..
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 03:16:21 pm »
Chet's eye doctor recommended Systane for his dry eye from surgery and for my dry eye from getting older, being blue eyed and working under florescent lights.There's quite a few different OTC kinds. You might ask your eye doctor for samples so you can find one or two you like.  Make sure that whatever kind is Lubricating eyedrops.  For awhile with Chet we were using ointment at night (blurrs the vision, but holds in better) and drops during the day. Systane  happens to be the one I'm partial to, 

Other names I heard mentioned Refresh, Genteal,

Is this a temporary thing?  Anyway hugs to you.
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 09:58:47 pm »
As always, my friend... thank you.  My eye dr did mention Systane and Genteal. Been using Genteal mostly and agree about the blurred vision. If I use it in the morning (and with the humidity lately of the day), I'm ok (need to give it a solid 20 min for my vision to unblur).. haven't tried the Systane yet, but willing to give it a try.

He believes my trigeminal got a twing of radiation as it's too close to all other nerves, difficult to avoid. Will speak to BI about it (oy, here we go again). 

Good news.. balance a bit better since low dose Valium (2mg/3x day).. not the greatest but better.

xoxoxoxoxo to you all!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

okiesandy

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 10:34:07 pm »
Phyl,

I had a short round of dry eye. Maybe about a week then the left eye started weeping. All gone now.

Remember I had the trigiminal nerve tweeked also. It will pass. My facial stabbing stopped and only rearely do I have the numbness around the mouth.

As for balance. Don't look down, don't look down and don't look down. I practice walking the line everday and turn and turn and turn. BARF! I dance and even dug out some old line dance and Carolina Shag VHS tapes and in the privacy of my own home I do my version of them. I had a head on colliision in 1990 and had severe neck damage. My balance was really bad. My neurologist sent me for lline dance lessons.i did not go quietly, it was under much protest. You have to count and turn and remember and for some reason the music helps. I have two left feet so that was hard for me. Maybe it is the endorphens. I even learned to like C&W music (don't tell anyone).  Worked so much better than the PT I did.

When do you have your MRI? When you see what Little Booger is doing you will feel better. If you think you feel bad just think what he is going through.

Hugs and more hugs,

Sandy

Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 04:59:29 am »
Sandy,

You continue to be a terrific inspiration to me.. thank you! :)  The dry eye has been going on for just over a week now and have been using the GenTeal at night.  Need to pick up drops for daytime use (I usual do a little dab of ointment in the am long before I head to work). Allergies here aren't helping (my lillies and sage and hostas, etc look great but....), having some slight eye weepies as well.  Hoping it passes soon.

Not due for my 6 mos MRI until Oct 6.  My Dr M (not your Dr. M but mine) has been following me closely and need to contact him this week (he was on vacation last week) to update him on other issues, but I have to say.... to this day, I still do not regret my decision and thrilled with CK... and as you note... at the 6 mos MRI, I'm ready to pour my martini or marguarita in hopes of celebrating the death of this unnamed booger!

Huggles to you.. and hun... I always dance!  Also practicing looking straight ahead...  doing all I can for wellness! :) 

xoxooxoxoxox
Phyl

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 12:21:35 pm »
Hi Phyll,

My left eye (An side) seems a little dryer. And it was itchy yesterday, but, like you, I don't know if it's allergies or the GK.  Seems more pronounced on the AN side, however.  Weird, huh?  I had a 3 month MRI on Tuesday.  Talk to the doctor on the 31st to see what's happening.  Don't know why he does one so soon.  All that MRI noise got the tinnitus upset!  Even with the earplugs.  Oh well. 

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 05:34:59 am »
Sue, if it's still keeping up, please see an optomatrist to have it confirmed.... seems that it's uncommon but can happen to radio patients... still running into it here but you all know me by now.... oy. Still doing before bed ointment and daytime (only 1 or 2 times per day).  Other than that, life is grand! :D

xox to you all!
Phyl