Author Topic: info on DRs at Univer of FL gainesville or UAB in AL  (Read 3709 times)

alabamajane

info on DRs at Univer of FL gainesville or UAB in AL
« on: July 17, 2011, 11:13:44 am »
Hi
Just transitioned from wait and watch to surgery due to last MRI last month.. I have been researching but unable to find much info on DRs from these two institutions.. I would like to stay close to home ,, but have consulted with Dr Slattery at HEI.. I know their reputation is excellent.. but it is a long way from AL!
If anyone has advice on how to proceed finding Dr closer to home than LA... please advise...this is so overwhelming.. I have been told tumor has grown this past year and hearing nerve has become "more involved" due to results of ABR testing...
so here I am proceeding from w&w.....so scary...
thanks for any help.. this is a very helpful website,, but doesn't seem to be any one else here in AL dealing with this.. ;)   
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Sheryl

Re: info on DRs at Univer of FL gainesville or UAB in AL
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 02:34:24 pm »
Hi - surprised you haven't heard from anyone in Alabama.  I have heard about and was referred to Gainesville by two neurosurgeons in the northeast.  It might be worth your while (since this is not an emergency situation), to actually go to Gainesville for a consult.   HEI, of course, has an excellent reputation but I can fully appreciate your "staying close to home" dilemma as I've been there, done that a few times.  I have been able to avoid surgery and still am on W&W since November of 2001.   Since my original diagnosis, we now are "snowbirds" and travel back and forth between Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts, so the decision to switch my care to a well-known teaching hospital in Boston was a "no brainer" (pun intended).

Good luck with your fact finding - this may be the most difficult part for you.  Keep us posted.
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

alabamajane

Re: info on DRs at Univer of FL gainesville or UAB in AL
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 07:33:27 am »
Hi and  thanks for your info.
I am currently awaiting a referral appt. with a Dr at UAB. Dr Winfield Fisher. I have heard good things about him so am going to meet with him.. I am still considering other options of course.. but thanks for your input,, as it is always helpful to hear from others.. I sure hope you are able to continue wait and watch! good luck.
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26