Author Topic: 6 weeks postop, translab 4x4x3.3 cm  (Read 2803 times)

PeaceAndLove

6 weeks postop, translab 4x4x3.3 cm
« on: June 22, 2011, 02:22:48 pm »
First, thank you for this wonderful, helpful, kind and supportive forum.  Such a blessing.

The procedure was done by Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz of House Clinic who were wonderful and I have no
doubt I got the best surgeons possible.  St Vincents Hospital... the staff and nurses were very kind and caring... a great hospital.

I found out about the tumor a few months earlier because I on one side of my tongue I could not taste and had a tingling sensation.

8 hour operation. Facial nerve preserved.  Hearing and balance removed.  I had hearing loss on that side anyways and the tumor was so large that non-AN side was already compensating.  I do miss stereo w/headphones though.

First week post-op was Headachesville.  I finally learned that Alleve worked and started using that w/doctor's advice to include Protonix or similar. Every day the headaches got less and less.  After 3 weeks I did not need to take Alleve every day.

For balance, Physical Therapist gave me some daily exercises.  They would be challenging for anybody,
balance issue or not.  I now can get around and am steady on feet, but still have this "wonkish" head feeling.

Biggest surprise were the eyes...first 2 weeks could not read, watch tv or compute w/out eye strain and or headache.   I know why now.  I listen to radio and books on CDs.  Today, I start a self imposed regimen of slowly getting back on computer.

I am slowly getting back energy.  I sleep 8/9 hours a night and some naps during day.  Can ride bike 3/times week. Swimming too difficult... really makes me dizzy.  Try that again in a week or 2.

I have a larger than usual belly scar/swelling from fat harvest because I am really thin.  It's fine, doesn't hurt and I have even had a chance to show it off ;) 

Hope this is helpful to anybody else going through this.  All your posts were really, really helpful to me... thanks so much.

Peace
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 02:24:20 pm by PeaceAndLove »
4 X 4 X 3.3cm left side, solid, cystic tumor removed translab 5/12/11 by House Clinic, Brackmann/Schwartz at St. Vincent's Hospital.  Symptoms- Tingling on left side of tongue and taste loss.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 6 weeks postop, translab 4x4x3.3 cm
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 02:42:22 pm »
PeaceandLove ~

Hello and welcome!  Thanks for posting your positive, informative message.  I'm glad to learn that you had a good surgical experience at HEI.  They have a splendid reputation, and this is why; excellent outcomes from AN patients like you.  I'm also pleased to note that as your recovery continues your initial problems have either resolved or are decreasing.  This is typical.  Because you're just getting back to using the computer, I'll curtail my message and thank you for your generous words for the ANA website discussion forums.  I'm looking forward to reading more about your recovery as time goes on.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

PeaceAndLove

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 11:48:37 am »
Jim and Cheri- Thank you for your replies and advice and support. 

Yes, very easy to think all is now ok and try something like spin around or bend over and then quickly realize that things are not all ok.... yet.  Some days headaches worse than others.  Doing good, but not completely recovered.

Peace
4 X 4 X 3.3cm left side, solid, cystic tumor removed translab 5/12/11 by House Clinic, Brackmann/Schwartz at St. Vincent's Hospital.  Symptoms- Tingling on left side of tongue and taste loss.

Katierose

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 09:23:23 am »
Peace and Love,
I agree with you that this site is soooo helpful.  I am 4 weeks out today.  Had the translab surgery.  Hearing and balance removed also, but no facial nerve damage to speak of.  I have also been so lucky that my balance is pretty darn good and no dizziness after the surgery!  I do have some issues with nausea and the wicked metal mouth.  I am so hungry but can only eat small portions so I am trying to force myself to eat as much protien as possible.  I am napping when I need to and  usually can not sleep through the whole night without waking more than once.   Which may be why I am tired all the time.
I have to shout out to Dr Kartush and the staff at St John's Providence Park.  They did such a good job that I was out and heading home on the 4th day!  Dr tells me I am only his  2nd patient to do so in his 30 years.  Yeah me! 
Thanks for letting me share. 
Good day to all.