Author Topic: Funny Eyeball Movement Post-Op  (Read 3824 times)

bri-82

• You gotta be kidding ...
Funny Eyeball Movement Post-Op
« on: July 09, 2011, 08:23:13 am »
Greetings and happy Saturday (MD U.S. States),

While playing around with my webcam I've noticed that when closing my right eye my eyeball turns to the right and then corrects itself once I open my eye again. My AN was located on the right side of my head and I had facial weakness/paralysis etc... on that side post surgery. I hadn't noticed it before because, well... who really records themselves frequently on a webcam? Further none of my doctors mentioned it. It doesn't cause me any problems, but I wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences. I'll bring it up at my next doctors appointment.
4.5 cm Right AN.
Sub-occip. Surgery 2011 @ Wash. Hosp. Center
Gamma Knife 2012 @ Wash. Hosp. Center
Translabrythine Surgery 2017 @ Johns Hopkins
Cyber Knife 2022 @ Johns Hopkins
Sub-occip. Surgery 2023 @ Johns Hopkins

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Funny Eyeball Movement Post-Op
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 08:43:52 am »
Hi bri-82 .....

Not sure about the eyeball turning ...... however, many of us experienced double vision for awhile following surgery, which may be related.

I had significant gaze stabilization problems following both of my surgeries.  Still having a slight problem occasionally at two months most recent post-op.  If I change directions and look at something specific, sometimes it takes a second or two for it to "stop moving" and for me to be able to hold my gaze on it.

One of the exercises I learned from my vestibular therapist three years ago (following first surgery) was to put a large letter (used A) on a sticky note, place it on the wall at eye level, stand back about 5-6 feet ..... keeping eyes firmly focused on the letter, begin moving head slowly from left to right for 10 times, then up and down 10 times ...... gradually increasing speed of head movement without losing a firm gaze.  I really need to go back and do that again.

The fact that you had facial weakness would also indicate that your AN side eye may be slower to respond until that weakness goes away.

Best thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 03:46:33 pm »
Clarice~

I always thought that "K" was the best letter to use for such things...  ::)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 04:12:29 pm »
K would work as long as you are sober.   ;D ;D ;D

C
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 10:37:47 am »
The condition is called nystagmus. I had an AN removed from the right side as well and had double vision from May until around two weeks ago when it finally cleared up. However I noticed my right eye still felt unstable, like it was still moving during some eye exercises when my left eye had already stopped moving. Using two sticky notes, each with a large X in the middle, I place them about 3 ft apart. Then standing or sitting not too far back from the notes, I look at the note on the left with my eyes first then turn my head to follow. Then from the left note, I look at the right note with my eyes first, then turn my head to follow. I do that about 10 times, three sets a day or so. I noticed that when I looked from the left to the right sticky-note that my right eye didn't stabilize, that it still felt like it was in motion. My physical therapist confirmed that I still have residual nystagmus, which should clear up eventually. I attempted to go out for dinner recently with my husband, and felt so dizzy because of the nystagmus in my right eye. I don't notice it as much when I'm home in a familiar environment, watching t.v. or sitting quietly, but in an environment where there is much to look at, where my head is constantly turning, my eye just can't keep up, and I feel very vulnerable and dizzy.

Greetings and happy Saturday (MD U.S. States),

While playing around with my webcam I've noticed that when closing my right eye my eyeball turns to the right and then corrects itself once I open my eye again. My AN was located on the right side of my head and I had facial weakness/paralysis etc... on that side post surgery. I hadn't noticed it before because, well... who really records themselves frequently on a webcam? Further none of my doctors mentioned it. It doesn't cause me any problems, but I wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences. I'll bring it up at my next doctors appointment.
Diag. Dr. Saffran ENT 3-9-11; 45 yrs at time of diag. 3.5+ cm AN rt side; 9 hr retrosigmoid craniectomy 5-12-11 FL Hosp. South, Neurosurgeon Dr. Melvin Field; Gold wt implant
Post-op: facial para. (rt), double vision (cleared up), SSD, tinnitus, balance issues, ataxia, movement disorder