Author Topic: Vertigo - and the use of Gentamicin  (Read 12784 times)

Chances3

Vertigo - and the use of Gentamicin
« on: July 07, 2011, 12:46:57 pm »
I wrote this down on a piece of paper a few months ago, I'm not sure where this information came from.
It might have come from this web site.  I wrote down that an injection into the middle ear of an antibiotic
called Gentamicin can cure vertigo.  Any replies please  ?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Vertigo - and the use of Gentamicin
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 12:58:29 pm »
I wrote this down on a piece of paper a few months ago, I'm not sure where this information came from.
It might have come from this web site.  I wrote down that an injection into the middle ear of an antibiotic
called Gentamicin can cure vertigo.  Any replies please?

Gentamicin
injection into the middle ear is used to cure severe vertigo.  It was originally employed to treat severe Meniere's disease.  However, because we're not doctors, this is, by necessity, a very generalized response.  For a more specific and detailed explanation I suggest you consult a licensed physician.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ombrerose4

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 02:47:20 pm »
This was actually a topic that was discussed at the symposium by Dr. Weit, during his balance discussion. Research is being done that shows if you give Gentamicin pre-op, it reduces the severe vertigo that some people experience immediately post-op and allows the body to make the adjustment to losing the vestibular function on the AN side without making the patient "spin".  Hope this helps:)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

mattsmum

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 10:15:28 am »
how curious - i wonder if they were trying to kill off the nerve quickly as this is supposed to allow quicker compensation for loss of vestibular function on one side.
curious - because gentamicin is also a leading CAUSE of vertigo when used as an antibiotic intravenously (damages the vestibular system on both sides).
LINAC radiosurgery july 2011 for 1.5cm tumour (uk)

lillacoix

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 07:01:31 pm »
Hello all, I am puzzled as to how gentamicin can help vertigo, when I thought it was a major cause of damage to the balance system, and can actually cause severe vertigo and loss of balance.  Maybe in smaller amounts, it does the opposite??  Similar to vaccines and homeopathy?  Does anyone know the answer to this?

mk

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 07:22:27 pm »
My impression (but I may be completely wrong) is that Gentamicin injections are sometimes used to "kill" the vestibular nerve in advance of surgery, so that the brain has more opportunity to compensate, therefore reducing the balance problems afterwards. I think there was one patient from Sweden who tried this. Overall though I don't think  this is a generally accepted approach.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

ombrerose4

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 09:21:40 pm »
Marianna, you are correct. As discussed at the symposium, some doctors are using Gentamicin pre-op to "kill" the vestibular nerve slowly so the body can adjust quicker than when the nerve is cut during surgery. I believe there are trials going on using this procedure and it is not used routinely as of right now.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 09:46:21 pm »
I don't think the injections are to kill the nerve quickly since everything I have read and discussed with my doc were that it takes several injections over time. So I am under the impression it is a slow death to the nerve. When they cut or remove the nerve in surgery it is would seem it would be an instant death to the nerve.
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Ned

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 06:32:27 am »
9 years post FSR with continuing balance problems.  My doc suggested gentamycin injections MIGHT help but I would lose the little hearing I still have in the right ear..
2003   1.5cmX1,6cmx1.3cm
FSR Sara Cannon Cancer Center  Nashville
2006  1.1 cmX1.2cmX .9cm

germangirl

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 10:43:01 am »
Hi everybody,

Mabye this link helps. It explains the method quite good:

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/treatment/ttg.html

All the best

germangirl
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 02:53:40 am by germangirl »
AN left side, 1x1x1 cm,treated by retrosigmoid microsurgery 09/2009 in germany with one branch of vestibularis preserved.
since then: wonky head problems, oscillopsia, fatigue,  hearing problems, tinnitus, hyperacousis, facial nerve (only sligthly affected)

nftwoed

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 09:25:41 pm »
Hi;

Yes, a chemically induced VNS ( Vestibular Nerve Section ) but, it is well likely to take all or some hearing also due to damage of the cochlea. Of course it's a Dr's call, but my feeling is a surgical VNS addresses an offending nerve issue 100% thoroughly, w/o damaging hearing.