Author Topic: ...annual MRI tomorrow....  (Read 5183 times)

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
...annual MRI tomorrow....
« on: July 05, 2011, 03:35:09 pm »
Have I ever mentioned that I HATE these things???   It's not so much the tube, or the contrast that makes my mouth taste like I have a metal fork in it!  It's the annual reminder that I have something in my head!!   ::)

Can't discuss this with my wife or family...or they will worry...so I'm typing it you you all.  Thanks for reading!

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: ...annual MRI tomorrow....
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 03:54:13 pm »
Gary ~

Wishing you an easy time in the Tube on Wednesday and a very boring ('stable') MRI scan report. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Chris P

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 04:16:38 pm »
GM,

I know what you mean it seems we can never get away from our AN.  I have my follow up MRI in August and I usually put an ear plug in my right ear because the loud noise bothers me and I also have headphones put on to have music piped into them for me to listen to during my MRI.  I bring in a CD of music that relaxes me and long with a small pill that helps me relax I do pretty good. 

Good luck with you MRI, try the music it really helps.

Chris P.
Small AN 14mm , right side , Gamma Knife Radiation 6/22/10 Gainsville, Florida.
Balance issues, hearing loss and facial weakness appeared four months post op.

JAndrews

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 07:39:34 pm »
I know how you feel!!! have you thought about having it removed? maybe getting that thing out of your head will help?
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

skipg

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 07:24:48 am »
Hi Gary,
Hoping and praying all turned out good today! Did you have your GK done at UVA or Riverside?
Skip
Self diagnosed 11/17/2010 (love the internet)
MRI 12/2010 Official diagnosis 1/3/2011 RT AN 7x6x4mm's
MRI 6/17/2011 no change still 7X6X4
MRI 7/20/2012 growth spurt to 14mm
Aug 8th consult and decided on Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy @ Hampton Proton Institute,       done on 11/20/12

GM

• My Blog Page
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 03:20:05 am »
I had GK at UVA in 2003....

MRI is complete, I read the MRI (one of the many talents AN patients develop), and it looks to be the same.  This MRI had thicker slices, it went throught the tumor in just a few passes, so I didn' t have as many slices to measure.  Follow up (and audiogram) with the doc in August, I'm thankful for the annual audio, it definately helps to get a complete picture.

Thanks for letting me vent my stress.....I just HATE my annual reminder!! 
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 04:46:49 am »
Ah, m'dear.... all part of the fun....  See my sig line?  What I keep trying to tell me'self! :)  Ya know... after ALL of these years for you... and for me...... it's still a tough ride when the annual or every 2 yr or beyond comes along... the constant reminder that AN's are apart of our lives and we need to stay on top of the game. 

Oh, we DO learn to read those MRI's, don't we?  ;D  I have complete faith in what you saw.... so, here's sending wishes for a good audio-test and keeping fingers crossed that all is "status quo."  Hang tough Gary!

8 yrs... wow!  Happy ANniversary!  Raisin' a mug o' grog to ya, ya scurvy scallywag!  8)  Seems like yesterday you were helping to coach me, doesn't it? :)
Phyl

I had GK at UVA in 2003....

MRI is complete, I read the MRI (one of the many talents AN patients develop), and it looks to be the same.  This MRI had thicker slices, it went throught the tumor in just a few passes, so I didn' t have as many slices to measure.  Follow up (and audiogram) with the doc in August, I'm thankful for the annual audio, it definately helps to get a complete picture.

Thanks for letting me vent my stress.....I just HATE my annual reminder!!
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

GM

• My Blog Page
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 03:51:55 pm »
LOL...thanks Phyl   ;D

Sheryl

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 08:49:20 pm »
Since it's been almost 8 years, maybe you'll get the news that you can spread out your MRI's.  I'm W&W for almost 10 years and still go every year (due next week) and I can definitely appreciate your feelings.  If I'm still stable, I may ask about spreading out my MRI's.  Also, being a breast cancer survivor for 7 years, I dread the yearly mammogram which is how the cancer was found - as you said, it is a reminder.
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 02:24:08 pm »
I've found that through the years I've actually gotten to like the tube of gloom.  Nice, cozy, peaceful place - if you ignore the loud clangs!

Congrats on 8 years and the clean MRI (at least I think it was clean from your interpretation, right?)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways