Author Topic: Advice on hearing devices,please..  (Read 9383 times)

Battyp

Re: Advice on hearing devices,please..
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 12:30:54 pm »
I think I was told not to the baha because at the time they didn't want me to have anymore surgery for at least a year and I have high tone loss in both ears in tinnitus in both ears.  I also don't think he (the ENT or audiologist I saw) have had a lot of experience with Baha's. 

I was told that I could take my grandmothers digital hearing aid, redo the ear mold and use her digital part.  I don't think it would help but I know it can be done. 

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2006, 01:46:16 pm »
I was told recently that BAHA's cost about $15,000.  :o  Lets me out!! ;D
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Pembo

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2006, 06:00:48 pm »
I have a BAHA and it is great. First off my insurance paid for it, BlueCross, and they approved it the first time the doc sent in the request. Secondly, the surgery part was easy. I was very stressed about it for nothing. I went into surgery at 8 am and by noon I was home eating lunch and we had an hour drive from the hospital. I had a low grade headache for a few weeks, controlled by otc Tylenol. At 4 months I got my processor. It snaps on like a lego. The Baha is not your old hearing back BUT it is a great help. I can now hear my kids when they talk. I don't have to turn up the tv or radio so loud and I can follow conversations again, especially in large rooms.

I am trying to think of the cons....I guess the biggest one is that it is not waterproof. I just returned from a vacation at the beach and pool and I missed my Baha dearly. We met some great people from England and Tennesse and I had a very hard time following their different accents without my Baha.

Do find a doctor who is experienced with the Baha. They should have a trial headband. I had mine for 2 weeks. It was a decent representation of how it could help. The headband had to be worn very tight to the head and that irritated me alot.   Go to www.entific.com  You can register for free and read comments from actual users. Also www.baha-users-support.com is another great forum to ask questions.

I'm happy to talk to anyone too. I've had my Baha for 8 months now and it is hard to live without it.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

amymeri

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2006, 06:31:10 am »
This is probably a strange question, but can you wear a BAHA comfortably with a helmet on?  I ride a horse and have to wear a helmet.  A BAHA would be helpful because I use my hearing to locate other horses, voices around me.  But the helmet goes over my ears about halfway and I wonder if the BAHA would fit under it? 

The same would be true for motorcycles or bike helmets, I think.

Thoughts?
Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now