Author Topic: Disappointed with Transear  (Read 18308 times)

Mei Mei

Re: Disappointed with Transear
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 02:39:14 pm »
Dear All,
There are two issues here that I want to address.
First, getting an excellent fit, not a good fit but an excellent fit is what is needed for the TransEar and the Sonnitus SoundBite.   I remember several months back someone posted on the Forum that they had gone to the TransEar company themselves over in Tennessee which was only a three hour drive away and had an excellent experience.   They are the true experts and someone that does it once in two years doesn't know squat.   You're just setting yourselves up for failure.   I come from NY and my mother would find out the expert and took me to the best so my advice stemming way back from my NY mother is to take yourselves to Tennessee if it is the TransEar that you want.   I talked with the rep in Cincinnatti last weekend and they have the actual inventors practice right in town where they would send you.  This is the place to make you successful.

Secondly,   I am diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome which is why I've had such a terrible recovery.   My two daughters also have it.   Google it and you'll see what I mean.   One of the problems is scar tissue.   My daughter while she was in Middle School had to have three plastic surgeries to get rid of a blood time test scar made with a razor blade at NIH, a chicken pox scar  on her thigh and a poison ivy scar on her ankle.  They were all large keloids.   We all have platelet abnormalities and Ani has Celiac Disease and so does her son so they are off gluten.

The point I'm making here is that this to do or not to do BAHA question is very individual and I love you Jan, but I can't just can't have another surgery and the BAHA with the violent way that I scar would present problems galore.  That's just my family.  We have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome as diagnosed by Dr. Francomano a geneticist formerly of the Genome Project and now in private practice.   I had my excision surgery on May 26 and the stitches out on Tuesday.  Dr. Ducic said there was so much scar tissue trapping my nerves and he had to work on removing the scars before he could work on the nerve excision.   Now I am feeling much much better since the excision and removal of the scar tissue.  What is interesting to note that back in the Summer 2010 my Beijing accupuncturist said it was the scar tissue that was causing my headaches and he couldn't help me. 

There are just some of us that make crappy paitients and I and my family are in that group.   We scar, have myofacial pain (also part of Ehlers Danlos) and just take forever to recover.   We can't join you Jan as much as we would like to.  For us, even a small BAHA surgery is MAJOR!!!  That's why Dr. Ducic's ears perked up when I told him I had Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.   We have to move through life carefully and not have too much surgery.   I've already had more than my share which was unfortunate for my life and my time childrearing.   Recovering from surgery and not being able to run or dance because of the paralyzed vocal cord has been major, but I've survived.

So please Forumites, we are not doctors and must remember when giving out advice that one of these BAHA surgeries is no big deal is leading someone down the wrong path.   Dr. Niparko's resident came in to my room to tell me about the BAHA and on my follow up visit Dr. Niparko was disappointed that I wasn't interested.  I was still last Spring dealing with major one sided brain wrecks and all he was interested in was more surgery.

The Sonnitus is available at GW in Sept. if you are interested in coming to Washington.
You can contact me if you want the contact information.

I hope I've made my point.

Hugs to all of this large diverse group!
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 03:00:55 pm »
Mei Mei ~

Thanks for your informative post and a distinct point of view.  I want to add that those who have and are enthusiastic about a BAHA implant & processor almost always add the caveat that 'it isn't for everyone', and they are correct, as your post emphasized.  It isn't for me.  At least, right now.  I cope well with my SSD, am retired so work-related issues don't arise and, frankly,  I just don't feel the need for a BAHA.  I wish to add that this could change because, in life, there are few absolutes.  I re-read the posts on this thread from those who are very pleased with their BAHA and they all include some use of a qualifier such as 'most'or 'usually' allowing for the reality that not every BAHA patient has a pain-fee abutment installation or a trouble-free BAHA experience.  I believe that the best form of advice is to simply state  "in my experience", which is accurate and allows for the fact that not everyone will have the identical experience.  Meanwhile, I'm glad to know that things are improving for you and I appreciate your contributions to the forums. 

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mei Mei

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 05:00:28 pm »
Thank you, Jim.  You are a true linguist and I and Noam Chomsky would appreciate that.  Yes there are no absolutes and each patient is an individual which is what I learned even before I ever entered clinical practicum.

Was looking for you at the Symposium last weekend but you were nowhere to be found.  Perhaps you'll make it to LA.   I am determined to go to LA because my favorite hamburger is served at Ruby's at the end of the dock facing the Pacific and Santa Catalina Island in the wonderful small town of Balboa Beach and Balboa Island.  I hope that the Forumites and the Docs will join me either for breakfast or dinner out at Ruby's pier on Balboa Beach.  It is a treat not to be missed.

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 07:10:18 pm »
Mei Mei -

glad to hear you love me  ;D

I've always said that the BAHA isn't for everyone, but for those who decide it is for them it's a fantastic invention.  I'm still in awe of it.  And like many who post on the Forum, I use the disclaimer that I'm not a doctor.

I do a lot of volunteer work with Cochlear and with potential candidates from my neurotologist's practice; I'm a huge advocate of the BAHA since it's made a huge difference in my life.

I love you too; even if you don't have a BAHA.  I'm not prejudice  :)

I truly hope the Sonnitus works wonders for you  :-*

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mei Mei

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 07:41:34 pm »
Thanks, Jan!   Now git to bed.  It's late.
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 08:25:25 pm »
Mei Mei,

Have you ever looking into the CROS device (I think that is what it is called).  Now there is a woman on the facebook page for Sudden Hearing Loss/Tinnitus that just got hers.  She is able to try it out for 30 days and if not happy or able to adjust to it she will get all money back.   Just had to share. 

Denise (MI)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Mei Mei

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 09:46:56 pm »
Thank you, Denise.   I'll look into it.   I didn't know it was for SSD.   Time to make an appointment at GW Hearing Center.
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

tenai98

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 06:04:48 am »
Mei Mei
I tried the CROS and its great...Its just two behind the ear aids....The one on the deaf ear transfers the sound waves to the good ear.  I think DL was going that route or was going to try it out...
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 06:45:57 pm »
KK,
 I was all set to send the Transear back, but they (Transear) really wanted to give it one more try so the audiologist made a new mold and they are re making it yet again.  I am doubtful though, but we will see.  The thing about the BAHA that keeps me from considering it is I read about people having to brush the skin around the abutment to keep the skin from growing over it.  Even years later.  And stories fo irritated skin around it years later etc.  My audiologist just (end of May)went through the training fdor Sound Bite and had a sample to show me.  She said you have to have perfect hearing in the good ear to be eligible for it.  I have slight loss in my good ear so don't think it will work for me.  However, It looked kind of cumbersome.  The mouthpeice is larger than I expected and holds a battery. (kind of weird having a battery insie your mouth) and the ear peice also has a battery in it.  The earpeice is like the Transear but the part that gpoes insdie the ear does not go so deep because the conduction is being done through the teeth/bone.  Both batteries are rechargable which is nice.  She said the price is going to be around $8000.00 and we know most insurance won't touch it.  But she said they are offering for a periodof time to get the product out there a $1500.00 paid by patient. They will try to bill insurance for the differance but it they don't pay they will at it. She didn't know how long that will last so you may want to be looking at it ASAP.

patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Mei Mei

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 08:46:28 pm »
I was at a big party last night in Washington.   There were four large tables and people were talking with me but I couldn't understand anything from the right side.   I really felt out of it not being able to hear from one half of the table.   It was a very frustrating experience.  Finally I confided in the man on my left that I couldn't hear the people on the other side of the table.   He took out his iPhone and asked me for the links to ANAUSA, Cnet.com and ewg.org and emfsafetystore.com

i feel I have to tell everyone I meet about the possibility of hearing problems and the data is not back about cell phones and cordless phones but being careful can't hurt.
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo