Author Topic: 2 months later swelling along and above scar  (Read 9672 times)

murdockthefirst

2 months later swelling along and above scar
« on: June 07, 2011, 08:01:47 am »
Check it out! I had been having headaches for a couple of years! Under the care of my doctor who just prerscribed me pain pills. I was walking along one day in April and had a headache attack as my heart started eraticly beating!Thinking I may be having a heart attack I walked myself to the emergency room as I was close to a hospital.A cat scan showed the tumor and needless to say I  was in shock! I was transported to another hospital put in intensive care and never left the hospital for 3 1/2 weeks!I knew nothing of this!Now I know!  I had the Translabrinthine surgery 2 months ago for the removal of a golf ball size tumor.A few days ago I  started to swell along scar and beyond worse than right after the surgery! I Called Dr. who asked if I had temp or leakage! No I said! He said It was o.k.! Anyone else experience this? I am still like in shock from having the tumor, the operation,loss of hearing,loss of balance,fatigue, everything! ???
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 10:32:10 pm by murdockthefirst »
Jeff Murdock

nftwoed

Re: Swelling
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 08:11:16 am »
Hi;
  From what I've read and heard over the years, CSF can pouch under the skin w/o leaking. Two months out and suddenly, edema, sound odd to me. I hope the Dr. knows what he's doing!

ilsemor

• 1.4mm, translab at House w/Dr. Slattery 7/6/09
Re: 2 months later swelling along and above scar
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 12:21:22 pm »
 I heard of cases that leakage can happen any time after surgery, actually House told it could be years after, since it is only being a couple of months,  I think you should have the doctor check it, just over the phone doesn't sound like an accurate diagnostic test.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Swelling
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 06:40:19 pm »
From what I've read and heard over the years, CSF can pouch under the skin w/o leaking.

There are many cases like this on the Forum.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 10:25:22 pm »
Hi from me too, Murdock .
I'd be inclined to get it checked out first hand.  I had 5 ops to stop CSF leaks from the incision site and nose and it's not something I'd wish on anyone.

Better to be safe than sorry IMO.

Please let us know what happens?

Warm regards,

Suu xx
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

para1

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 08:59:25 pm »
I agree with everyone who is encouraging you to check with your doctor.  I started swelling at my incision site 6 weeks post op.  I made an appointment to see the doctor for the following week.  I never got there because one morning I started leaking from my incision.  I wound up in the hospital for 7 days with a spinal drain.  This happened six weeks ago and I have only recently been headache free from the spinal drain.  The doctor said that the CSF forms around the brain.  Sometimes after surgery, your brain does not absorb all of the CSF so it pools around the incision site.  Then it takes the path of least resistance which in my case meant that the pressure pushed my internal stiches through my incision, therefore the leak.

I hope it's not a leak but it's better to check!  Good luck!

murdockthefirst

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 03:13:58 pm »
Thanks all! I walked into the emergency room 1 week ago today  complaining of the swelling!Turned out that I needed a right Ventricle- Peritoneal shunt placement!Can hardly say the word!Went in on Friday,they did a spinal drain,I was operated on that following Monday and released Thursday, yesterday! Is there anything else going to happen?This is just all hitting me hard!Thanks to all who replied!Still reeling! J Murdock
Jeff Murdock

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 06:35:11 pm »
Wow, Jeff, you've certainly been through a lot lately.

Hope this is the end of the issues you've had to deal with.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 04:11:45 pm »
That is quite a journey, hope that solves your problem and you feel better each day.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

ilsemor

• 1.4mm, translab at House w/Dr. Slattery 7/6/09
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 01:53:09 pm »
I know sometimes the last thing we want is to go back to doctors and hospitals, but sometimes we need to trust our instincts, I'm glad you went to the doctor.

I learned that over the phone a lot of issues are misdiagnosed.

I'm so glad you are doing better. :)

kenneth_k

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 01:26:11 am »
Hi Jeff.

I'm sorry to hear that you ran into these shocking events.
Take care. If your mood gets really down over this for more than 2 weeks, you should discuss it with a professional.

Kenneth

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 09:07:58 pm »
Or starter, I completely ditto what Kenneth posted above me!!

I see you are new to this site, looks like you've only posted the 2 times..??..??   Want to welcome you to the forum and tell you this is a great place to be for mulitple reasons.   If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask or use the search above to help find previous posts for topics you may be looking for  ;)

Your story, well I feel a bit speechless and just say "wow, how scary"   and SO glad you made the decision to head into the ER!!   I know some people may get disappointed on what the doctor says over the phone, but it is SO hard to even attempt to give proper diagnosis over the phone because if they can't see exactly what it is, then who knows.  Like your doctor may have just thought you had some normal post op swelling, where as you maybe had more of the edema & collected in one area.   Anyways, glad you went with your feelings and made sure to get it checked out.

I want to wish you the Best during this time and for the future.   It can be a struggle at times and things can't be predicted as to what might happen, that can just times seem frustrating...but one of the things in life.   

Take care & hope you are feeling better!!

Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

murdockthefirst

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 10:56:12 pm »
Thanks to all that have expressed concearn! Now I am literally going nuts!Depression?Yes!I can hardly get out of bed I am  exausted!I try and can only manage to stay upright about an hour!What is really going on! I have a scar on the right side close to  my belly button where the end of the shunt is! I am having all kind of weird feelings there plus shocking pain at times!!I see my surgeon on Tuesday!Hope I will find some answers!I am seriously having a very difficult time dealing with all this!
Jeff Murdock

tenai98

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 07:38:13 pm »
Hi Jeff and Welcome to the forum
One day at a time..we all heal differently...but go with what you body tells you,...rest and more rest...and you can vent here all you want...We understand.
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7