Author Topic: AN and military service  (Read 2493 times)

Pat

AN and military service
« on: June 23, 2011, 01:15:44 pm »
Any info on the number of VETS that develop AN`s?
Doing some research on long term exposure to loud noise and AN`s
Thanks Pat
AN diagnosis 6 20 2007
2cm..... left side S.S.D.
"Wait / watch" right now
L.Fredrick Lassen , M.D., F.A.C.S.
Suffolk, Va.

"Attitude......the difference between an ordeal or adventure"

HeidiC

Re: AN and military service
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 02:15:27 pm »
I was just diagnosed and am having my 3rd MRI tonight-military hospital does them 24/7(second one this week, 1st 6 months ago) and then will go to meet the surgeon and decide on my course of treatment.  My tumor is small, not sure the current size, will learn more after MRI.  Its on my left side.  I have numbness on one spot of my left cheek that I just discovered yesterday.  My ear feels different than my right ear, which kinda freaks me out basically being able to "feel" my brain tumor.  I have had balance/dizziness issues for a couple of years now.  I also have frequent headaches, though I'm not sure if thats the tumor or stress being just diagnosed, my husband is deployed, and I don't really know anyone is my area-so I have  no local support.  I wish there was someone to go to appts with me, 2 is always better than one, and also someone to watch my 2 small kids age 5 and 6.

I am not a vet but my husband is in the Army.  We live next to the base and the big guns are being practiced with all the time.  At our last duty station the tanks practiced all the time.  My dishes rattle from the booms all the time.  I don't think it is a factor in my getting the tumor but that is just my opinion.
Diagnosed 6-24-11 left side AN 3mm x 3mm
33 years old at time of diagnosis
Mid Fossia surgery 10-06-2011
with Drs Adunka and Ewend at UNC.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: AN and military service
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 01:59:54 pm »
I was in the Air Force from 1968 thru 1973. Worked on fighters and my last assignment was a U2 squadron at Davis Monthan AFB. No doubt I was exposed to loud flight line noises, and we were issued small plastic insertable ear protection that offered minor protection. I am sure they have better equipment now. I doubt that loud noise causes ANs.