Author Topic: New member/VA question  (Read 2382 times)

jimmcintire05

New member/VA question
« on: June 20, 2011, 10:34:06 am »
Hello for the first time.

I am a 63 year old male and have been having some hearing loss in my left ear and the typical ringing in the ears for a couple of years now.  I chalked it up to the aging process, but I have recently changed doctors and he wanted to get to the bottom of the hearing loss.  I have always been very healthy and have had very few visits to the doctor for an overall health check up. 

After my audio test to confirm total hearing loss in my left ear and before my MRI I started to experience the general wonky feeling (I have learned here is a common symptom of AN). 

I had the MRI Friday.  I have not heard from my doctor as of yet and I am very anxious to find out the results.  My doctor first had a CT scan ordered and then after my audio gram confirmed total hearing loss it was upgraded to a MRI.  The MRI was first ordered without contrast and after reading this form I questioned the order and the doctor had it changed to include contrast.  Thanks to you and your contribution to this form I was able to point my doctor in the right direction.

I failed to mention that I am working through the VA.  I am retired and have a very limited income and no insurance.  I have just recently qualified for the VA benefits and am very grateful for that.  We will see how my treatment will be influenced by the system.

Any comments to support (or otherwise) the ability of the VA to steer the process of treatment.

Expect excellence, accept reality & react accordingly.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: New member/VA question
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 01:45:14 pm »
Hi, Jim ~

Thanks for posting!  I certainly hope the MRI doesn't indicate an acoustic neuroma but I'm glad that the information you gleaned from the website/forums was helpful in directing your doctor to order your MRI with contrast.  I'm sorry that I can't address your questions about the VA simply because I'm not a veteran and have no experience with the VA.  However, we do have folks that will, I trust, be along to help you with that.     

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jrummi

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 07:55:07 am »
Hi Jim,
I am fairly new to the forum, however, I have spent 15 years in the military.  I have used the VA a couple of times.  I know it is hard to sometimes to get ahold of them.  My recommendation to you is to look up online the VA centers around your area, then make an appointment to find out how the process works (or even just go to the VA in the hospital).  I would continue to call the VA/DR Office to see if there are any reults to your MRI and STRESS to them how much pain you are in and worried you are about it-I hate to say it, but you need to be very proactive.  If you are in the city of Detroit, do NOT use the downtown Detroit VA, Use the University of Michigan.  Hope this helps.  I have many military friends, so I may be able to help give you some reviews, depending on which VA you are using. 

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 03:43:53 pm »
Jim M -

yours is a question that has been asked on the Forum a few times in the past.

There are several threads you might find useful.  Search on "veteran" and you'll find them.  You might also want to do a search on "Tri-Care".

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways