Author Topic: Has Anyone Filed For Disability  (Read 14396 times)

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
Has Anyone Filed For Disability
« on: May 31, 2011, 01:47:04 pm »
I have not returned to work since my surgery back in August 2010. I worked in the telecommunications field installing and programming business telephone systems. There is a lot of ladder work, including running cable in ceilings. I now walk with a cane because of balance problems. I am now thing of applying for disability. Has anyone here applied?
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Has Anyone Filed For Disability
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 02:57:00 pm »
Yes, there have been some people who got disability, but it is a long fight.  If you do a search on disability it should show some of the threads for that.  good luck!!

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Mei Mei

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 06:04:15 pm »
I had my surgery in Jan 2010 and was approved for County and State Disability by mid March.    I then immediately applied for Social Security Disability and a few months later got denied but reapplied as most people get denied the first time around.   I got approved for SS Disability two months ago and got a lump sum for back pay with 20% to the lawyer I contracted with.   I really needed it because of the headaches, loss of hearing and consequential lost of balance (my arm is currently in a cast and I had surgery on Thursday to cut the damaged nerves on my scalp and take out the adhesions).

If you live in Maryland PM me and I will send you a contact, otherwise ask around with friends or look at Angie's List or call your local Bar Association.    I didn't have a problem at all and am now getting three checks a month.
Sincerely,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 08:16:08 pm »
There have been several on the Forum.

First one who comes to mind is Captain Deb; second one is LADavid.

From what I recall the process is a long one.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mandy721

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 09:36:14 pm »
My husband had surgery in August 2009.  He struggled when he went back to work and, after giving it a good try, went back out on short term leave.  The post - surgical problems he is experiencing make it hard for him to do the job he had prior to surgery.  He was granted disability through his company's policy and just got word that he was approved for SSD.  He used a lawyer to file the Social Security application, which was approved the first time. 

Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

KBL

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 09:45:19 pm »
I had surgery for a 5.5 cm AN (yes, a tennis ball size) in Jan 2010. Followed by cyberknife in April.   I applied for disability, talk about paperwork and interviews. I got the rejection letter just in time for Thanksgiving. I hired a lawyer in December, he said to possibly expect it to take until October.  Like others, I was told EVERYONE gets turned down the first time.  The paperwork I included showed I still had some tumor left, and had physical problems.  Don't give up.  If I need to apply again I will.
5.6 cm. left side retrosigmoid surgery January 2010.  Dr. Villavicencio, Boulder, CO  Cyberknife April 2010  Left side  facial paresis started September 2010.  Gold weight implant Dec. 2010.  Total hearing loss on left side.  As of today, tumor still appox. 28x18x8 mm

Mei Mei

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 02:36:58 pm »
Yes, keep applying and keep sending documentation of all the doctor visits.   My lawyer said that is what helped me get through without a hearing ... all my documentation kept rolling in and so they passed it over as passed.

Speaking of Capt. Deb, she hasn't posted since Feb.   Is she OK?
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 01:53:08 pm »
I too have filed for federal social security.  I have multiple issues, so it is not just based on the AN stuff.   Having just AN issues usually is not enough on its own, but many that have gotten it have sufferred post op pains, headaches, depression, anxiety, etc, etc.  Having documentation on all of that helps for sure!  One thing I have been told is that since I am under 50 and have great job skills and a college degree are things that can also work against me (CRAPPY!!)

Usually they say you have not be able to work for at least a year.  Since a year for you is only 2 months away, you should know that you may not be returning to work.   Of course you need doctors support, hence documentations, for that time too.   You are able to file after being off for 5 months....so go ahead and try!!!

Hmm, haven't seen anything on Captain Deb either, hope she so well that she forgot about this page. ;D

Denise (MI)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 01:54:15 pm »
Forgot to mention, I have my disability hearing this Monday!  Hopefully all goes well and I don't break into one of my anxiety attacks & rashes..

I didn't plan to go for disability, but my internest actually recommended it.   She knew how stressed out I was too over things.  She said since I have been continuing to have issues hopefully I could get it to help pay for my continuing medical bills.  Plus I have a family to think about.   I wasn't working much before the surgery and just get by ok on my husbands income, but never thought of the medical bills I have and continue with....plus my family expenses that even my little bit of income DID help with.    I also pray that I find some kind of relief and can eventually try to start some kind of work again in the future.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 03:09:14 pm by Denise S »
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side

Mei Mei

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 03:20:57 pm »
Good luck with the hearing.   I didn't even go to a hearing.
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 07:45:47 pm »
I do a lot of SS interviews with my job and I think having a psych issue is the least arguable......so make sure that is in there, depression is a huge one with this condition. Also do the homework, make sure you get a good evaluation from Psych MD, the more documentation goes out the better on getting accepted first time around.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

Mei Mei

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 08:07:40 pm »
I didn't have any emotional documentation but I think I had a lot of medical documentation on its impact on my life...headaches, balance, hearing.

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 05:44:15 pm »
I was approved at my hearing Monday in less than 15 minutes!  It probably helped with having an emotional breakdown.  :( 

Mei Mei

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 08:09:01 pm »
congratulations on your approval and on your birthday no less.   Will you be at the Symposium?

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 08:45:16 am »
congratulations on your approval and on your birthday no less.   Will you be at the Symposium?

Mei Mei

THANK YOU MEI MEI!!!
No, I won't be at the Symposium.  I couldn't afford it right now and would have been nervous due to the pain I've been suffering that it would have been so bad I couldn't enjoy it anyways.   BUT, I the main reason I would have loved to come is to meet some of my "AN family"...like you  ;)    Hope you have a great time AND are feeling good!!!
HUGS!!!!  Denise