Author Topic: Working full time?  (Read 5737 times)


  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 91
Working full time?
« on: May 27, 2011, 06:54:22 pm »
Anyone working full time? Can you share your experience on work before and after your AN removal, radiation, etc.  I had surgery last year and a shunt put in a month ago. I'm going to start a new job soon. I'm really worried. I was only working part-time before. I'm more tired than usual. I really hope this is a temporary thing because I don't want to lose my job over this. My anxiety over this is way high. Any comments? Thanks everyone!


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4232
Re: Working full time?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 08:38:39 pm »
I had a big AN and a stroke (NOT common) - I had totally reverted back to my childhood and had to relearn everytihing - I went back to working full time after 3 months (I did do 1 week of 1/2 days), not only that, but it was teaching 1st grade - a very physically demanding job - standing all daywalking, recess duty in the heat...the whole shabam! I did not actually have any therapy or eye troubles until AFTER I returned to work so that made it even harder.  I came home either from teaching all day (& some days therapy after) and went straight to bed and didn't get up until the next morning!  It certainly wasn't easy - but it can be done! Sometimes we have to do what we really don't want to but unless you can afford the luxury of NOT working, you just have to endure it...I've learned that doesn't do any good to worry about things that you can't change!

Good luck in your new job!
K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
Great life!


  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 834
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: Working full time?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 09:51:12 pm »
I went back to work full time 2 months after my surgery.  I work 12 hour days (and at nights to boot!), and work in a cleanroom environment. I wear a "bunny suit" with a hood, booties, and latex gloves and I'm always on my feet going going going. So with at going on, I got tired really fast.  But fortunately I work in a really good place so I was basically working at half speed for about a month or two and could take frequent breaks.  Technically, I should have waited another month.  Every person is different and  it can take a good long while for the body to kick back in to near what you used to be pre-surgery.  Just pace yourself in the beginning...don't show them your top top speed or that's what they'll expect from you.  Then as you do feel better, kick it up a notch.  I am sure after the first day or so you'll get a feel for what kind of pace is required of you and you won't be so anxious about it.  Take care and keep us updated!
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here:


  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 36
Re: Working full time?
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 08:09:59 am »
I've gone back to work full-time after two surgeries now. Both times were about 10 weeks post-op and I started out not quite full time for the first couple of weeks. By the third week I was full-time. My job is very mentally demanding and stressful, and I usually work about 10 hour days. I manage to keep up with some family responsibilities when I get home, but crash pretty early most days. I actually think that being back into a full-time work routine has helped me to regain some energy and confidence. I'm about 3 months post-op now, and I would say my stamina is about 90-95% of what it was. I'm expecting it will bounce back to better than it was pre-op eventually.

Remember to eat healthy, and get some exercise if you can. That will help! Good luck!
Right AN diagnosed Sept. 2010 - 4 cm x 3 cm x 3 cm
Debulked via translab Sept. 2010
Removed at House Feb. 2011
CSF leak with blind sac closure and lumbar drain March 2011
Unresponsive facial nerve, platinum weight


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 916
Re: Working full time?
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 11:13:06 am »
I went back to work 5 months after surgery....I had to make sure I was capable of keeping my students safe. I'm a driving instructor...I cut my hours down from 7.5/day to 6/day.  My brain wants to shut down by 930pm so I make sure I'm home.  My work is 315-1045pm...I'm sure if I pushed myself, I could go back to working a full day.  When kids are on holidays, I work the full 8 hour day during the daytime.
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 10826
  • I am a success story!
Re: Working full time?
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 12:50:51 pm »
I went back to work full time 4 weeks post op; I returned part-time 2 1/2 weeks post op (half days). 

I work a desk job (accountant) and have had no issues.

I know this isn't everyone's story, but it's mine.

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways


  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 376
  • “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
Re: Working full time?
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 01:07:50 pm »
I went back to working a full schedule 10 days after a my three week hospital stay and later, worked straight through a week of Cyberknife Radiation. Radiation from 8~10 in the morning and the rest of the day in the office till six or later. No problem, in fact, I recommend it! The only difference I dealt with were the headaches that came as part of the healing process...easily remedied.

I think perhaps Doctor's recommend long recovery periods post surgery to allow us time to possibly regain balance or deal with a vision issue with the thought that maybe doing so will stop us from falling and hurting ourselves if we rushed back to our normal lives. I left the hospital in late August with a medical excuse that would have allowed me to sit and collect dust until November 30th...that's a long time to feel sorry for ones self...don't you think? I went back to work at he end of August instead, more fun. Did I mention the pay is much better too!  8)

Take Care!
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.


  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 220
Re: Working full time?
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 05:42:28 pm »
went back part time- 2-3 days per week at 5 months post op. At about a year post op went full time. I am a nurse.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 660
    • My blog (work and life)
Re: Working full time?
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 07:27:01 pm »
I went back at three months post-op. Reduced schedule at first, but full-time within a couple of months. At 14 months I was back to 16-17 hour days when needed.

Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.


  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 325
  • Back to Mono
Re: Working full time?
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 06:38:42 am »
I went back to work after 4 weeks recovery.  :)
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm