Author Topic: Takiing Ibuprofen/Motrin advice please  (Read 5046 times)

amymeri

Takiing Ibuprofen/Motrin advice please
« on: June 30, 2006, 09:15:44 am »
I had my surgery 11 weeks ago.  I was told not to take aspirin or ibuprofen for a month after surgery.  I would like to take some now for the aching in my face on the parayzed side but I am afraid to take it! 

What are the chances I couild have a brain bleed now?

Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Boppie

Re: Takiing Ibuprofen/Motrin advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 09:44:25 am »
I took one tablet of Ibuprophen for headache at three month post op and only once a day.  If you need more pain killer I'd use extra strength Tylenol.  I used very warm compresses (wash cloth wrung out) on my aching face a couple of times a day.  The face pain does relent.  It seemed to be a phase of my recovery, not long.

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 10:53:30 am »
I was taking ibuprofen around the clock as prescribed by the doctor after my retrosig.  Aspirin I could see but I'd think ibuprofen would be ok.  Yes, I agree with Boppie...warm compresses help with the face and neck pain.

vcschaub

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 12:13:56 pm »
I was told to use Tylenol . Tylenol is acetaminophen, not ibuprofen. I was given Tylenol with codeine to take home after surgery but used very little of it. The extra strength Tylenol (without codeine, non prescription) works for me.
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

amymeri

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 12:41:57 pm »
Thanks everyone

I was given hydrocodone with tylenol after the surgery but only took it 2-3 days after I got home.  I take tylenol once every 10 days or so, but crave Ibuprofen because it works better for me.  I think I am fine to take it...I think my post surgery anxiety is just kicking in!

Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 02:33:20 pm »
I had my surgery 11 weeks ago.  I was told not to take aspirin or ibuprofen for a month after surgery.  I would like to take some now for the aching in my face on the parayzed side but I am afraid to take it! 

What are the chances I couild have a brain bleed now?

Likely remote - but I'm not a physician so what do I know? ;)

It would seem that the original restrictions on taking asprin and ipuprofen have 'expired' in your case (11 weeks - almost 3 months -  post-op) and the moderate use of ibuprofen (less than 800 milligrams per 24 hours) - if not asprin -  will probably not cause any 'brain bleeding' at this late date.  However, you need direct advice from a qualified physician, specific to your situation. 

A call to your surgeon's office or even your primary-care physicians office can very likely give you the assurance and information you need on this issue.  I highly recommend you make that call.
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Static

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 07:27:36 pm »
Yep, call the Doc.  You never know what reasons specific to you that he didn't want you to take/do a particular thing so best be sure and give them a call.  Hope you're feeling better.
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Road Trip Dale

• Dale - 6 days after surgery!
    • Frappr/dale
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 09:01:12 am »
Agreed...check with your doctor.  I'm also 11 weeks since surgery and have been taken Ibuprofen ever since I came home to help with facial pain and some swelling.  But everyone is different and your doctor will know what is appropriate in your specific situation.  I've had a really great recovery so they have let me do just about anything I want to do.  Check with your doctor before changing anything they told you to do...this old man's advice for the day.
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06
Dr. Charles Leutje and Dr. Paul Camarata
St Luke's, Kansas City, MO