Author Topic: Drs. Bruce Mickey and J. Walter Kutz at UTSouthwestern in Dallas, TX  (Read 7861 times)

MandaPanda

Just had the translab procedure done for a 2.1cm left-side AN on April 28th.  Dr. J. Walter Kutz was my otolaryngologist (sp?) and Dr. Bruce Mickey was my neurosurgeon.  I had the procedure done at Zale Lipshy Hospital (part of the UTSouthwestern system) here in Dallas, TX.  I really appreciated their candor and reassurance while discussing ALL of my options with me, including radiosurgery, even though it wasn't the best option for me.  They were very attentive and  would return my calls and inquiries promptly (Dr. Kutz always called me back HIMSELF!).  I wasn't able to meet with Dr. Mickey at my pre-op the day before, so he personally called me on his cell phone that evening to check on me and reassure me that all was going to go well the next day.  Such caring doctors!  I would have done NOTHING differently.  The staff at Zale Lipshy was also remarkable.  Every nurse that I had in my 5 day stay was truly the best at what they did!  So caring and funny and understanding.  This was my first surgery EVER...I do it big;)  So I was filled with alot of apprehension and fear.  I didn't need to be...I had the best team I could have hoped for taking care of me!  If you have any questions about either of these doctors or this facility, I'd be glad to answer them!

Amanda

Kaybo

Amanda~
So glad that things went well for you and you had such AWESOME doctors - I have heard good things abou them!  My surgeon in Baltimore for the T3 called me the night before - I was just blown away - there are some good ones out there!!
How are you feeling now?

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
That's awesome Amanda....it's posts like these that what makes this discussion forum so awesome.  Now it's another great piece of information for some future newbie who will hopefully see this and use it along with all the other great info and make a sound decision, just as you did!  Thanks for this!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Hi, Amanda...and congratulations on your successful Translab surgery and your rewarding experience with your doctors and the Zale Lipshy Hospital nursing staff.  We're thrilled to learn of your positive AN surgery experience and, as Jay noted, your experience can be an encouragement to those newly diagnosed and fearing the worst as they contemplate surgery, so thank you for posting - and have a great recovery!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

blanc

Congratulations on your successful surgery Amanda. Hope you are healing up up. Wishing you a very speedy recovery

minerva1221

• AN posts on My Blog
Re: Drs. Bruce Mickey and J. Walter Kutz at UTSouthwestern in Dallas, TX
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 04:13:48 pm »
That's awesome Amanda....it's posts like these that what makes this discussion forum so awesome.  Now it's another great piece of information for some future newbie who will hopefully see this and use it along with all the other great info and make a sound decision, just as you did!  Thanks for this!
Jay

3+ years later...this newbie thanks you, Amanda!  Dr Mickey and Dr Kutz are my doctors now, too!  So glad to find this thread and read about your success with them!!
Mid 2013:  high-frequency hearing loss, tinnitus, vertigo/balance issues, fullness in ear
Aug 2014 (age 39):  diagnosed with 4mm x 6mm x 8mm AN
Nov 25, 2014:  Middle Fossa Surgery at UTSW with Dr Kutz & Dr Mickey
 - 6 months post-op still battling fluctuating vision issues