Author Topic: Anti Depressive Medicine  (Read 10784 times)

kenneth_k

Anti Depressive Medicine
« on: May 10, 2011, 10:57:26 am »
Well, after several surgeries and attempts to stop a CSF leak, it looks like a success.

However, this long enduring struggle to heal has given me a depression on top of things.
Im getting help from a therapist and I've read a book by Paul Gilbert - How to overcome depression.

Nevertheless, I still feel  :'( :'( :'(

Today after seing my GP I started on an anti depressant - Venlafaxine - an SNRI against depression and anxiety. It should work in two or three weeks. I sure hope so and I will provide feedback. In the mean time, does anyone have any experiences with these kind of drugs? My wife is really worried that I will turn into a different person - like that Jekyll and Hyde thing.

Kenneth

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Anti Depressive Medicine
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 11:01:38 am »
Kenneth -

as I'm sure you know, depression is very, very common post AN treatment and I commend you for seeking help; not everyone does.

I have never taken anti-depression meds but I know many people who do and they work well for them.  I think one of the keys is to make sure you are on the right med and the right dose, so if your wife's fears seem to be materializing head back to your doc for some changes.

I'm so happy to hear that your CSF leak is finally stopped; and I pray it stays that way.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 11:16:27 am »
Kenneth, You will turn into Jekyll and Hyde only if that is who you were before!    LOL!     Everyone may vary with how they feel but most do fine.     I took several before now on Cymbalta.       Prozac made me jittery.     Celexa and Lexapro gave me GI issues.      Effexor was ok and went off as was wondering of it was giving me problems with weird dreams.   I went off and weird dreams still there.     I think it is a BP pill.          Some cancause a bit of an odd feeling if you go off it.   Not bad as I read some reviews where some people had a bad withdrawl but mine was never what I call bad.       You may need to taper off if feel this is not the one for you.     Don't let this scare you as then can try another.                 Some of my issues are not from my NF2 but other issues.     My mother also had a problem with depression.               I hope this helps you and wish you wel!
                                                              Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

lori67

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 11:39:24 am »
Kenneth,

I took that after my surgery and had no problems at all.  I was very nervous about it too, but it did the trick for me.  For a while before starting it I felt like I was snapping at everyone and really getting upset over things that weren't that big a deal.  That would make me even more upset!  I didn't think it was fair for my family to have to put up with that, since I wasn't like that normally.  I think the meds helped me to get back to "normal".  Once I had dealt with the roller coaster of emotions that comes along with AN's, I was able to stop taking it and all is good.   ;D

My doctor summed the depression up nicely:  it was a normal reaction to a completely abnormal situation.  I don't think you'll turn into a different person - I think it will help you remain the same person your wife loves.  Which is good news as long as she wasn't hoping you'd turn into a different person!   ;)  (just kidding...)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

kenneth_k

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 01:35:42 pm »
Thank you guys. Nice to know where to go for feedback/advice or a good old pat on the back ;)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 12:40:14 pm by kenneth_k »

cin605

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 06:13:04 pm »
I have tried several anti depresants.....currently on amnitryplylne.It seems to be working....i was getting huge bags under my eyes at first but now my body has adjusted.
Alsoi eat alot of chocolate and drink green tea and take fish oil.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Stephanie

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 07:40:07 pm »
Before I was diagnosed with AN my doctor tried all kinds of anti depressants on me. He thought that was the cause of my dizziness and headaches. Some are very helpful and some really suck. I got really tired with most of them and almost all gave me migraines. But knowing what I do know, it was probably the tumor not the pills  giving me the migraines and it was definetly the tumor making me dizzy!  : )
I noticed a big difference with the amount of stress and anger I had. My husband was actually happy that I turned in to a different person, he says I was much more tolerable and not so mean: ) In my case, I think I'm just evil at heart so he's in a lose, lose situation either way.
I was hoping to be off them forever but I actually think I have just hit the depression stage in my own recovery and have been considering talking to my doctor about it at my next visit.
I hope they work for you as intended but if that one doesn't work try another because they all have different effects.
AN 3 cm left side (1.7 cm @ diagnosis 5 mo. prior - MRI didn't show all)  Surgical removal 7/12/10, CSF leak - surgical repair 7/26/10

mrmel

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 09:42:41 am »
Thank you guys. Nice to know where to go for feedback/advice or a good old pad on the back ;)
   Hi Ken
                The antidepressant can be very good, but as most on here have given you good advice and i think accurate and that is sometimes you get lucky and get the right one the first time and other times you have to keep trying. Preferably you want one that works and has the least side effects. Remember though antidepressants are only a help,not a cure other work you will have to do on your own. I took celexa for a long time after my surgery and i did not notice any side effects. Good luck and keep moving forward.
                                 Mel

kenneth_k

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 06:08:53 am »
I went for a post-surgery checkup today at my local ENT. I was all worked up and didn't sleep last night. Well, I haven't had a decent sleep since October last year so that's nothing new.

I was also to have a hearing test and I felt very anxious. I imagined that my depression would spoil my concentration and I would wreck the result, and then the doctor would be very mad at me :'(

I almost hyperventilated before entering the waiting room.

But, my left ear hearing is just fine, and the wounds behind and in the right ear have healed nicely. :)

I sure hope the antidepressants will kick in soon because these feelings are almost unbearable. I have consulted with my GP and we have decided to accelerate dosage since the only side effect is intermittent nausea. I can live with that. I'm at 75 mg venlafaxin now and presumed end-state is 225 mg, which is safe to reach in 3 weeks.

Kenneth

kenneth_k

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 06:01:35 am »
Update.

The medicine is working and I feel fine again ;)

Kenneth

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 06:02:43 am »
Excellent news, Kenneth  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sarah001

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 10:17:26 am »
 :) Glad you feeling better Kenneth

Sarah

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 03:27:37 pm »
Kenneth ~

Thanks for the update.  I'm pleased to learn that the medicine is working and you're feeling better.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

JAndrews

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 05:31:16 pm »
Lexapro worked great for me. I didn't really notice a difference until about 6 weeks after starting it
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 12:57:13 am »
Whatever it takes to be normal is good.  ;D

I'm glad you've found a tablet that is helping, buddy.

Keep us updated on your journey into normalcy again please?

Cheers,

Suu
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12